Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brunswick county

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know if this will help, but this is a county by county map-type thingy about the plants found in florida. http://www.plantatlas.usf.edu/browse.asp I'd be glad to assist in the other areas if its anything I can do but I don't know what other type of things you are referring to.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That didn't even have sarracenia on the list at all. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

Buster1...I forget where you live. If you live in a state where sarracenia grow, then we might need you to be volunteer for a rescue effort *IF* its ever needed. That means going to an area which is being developed and digging plants to be sent into stewardship. Like Brooks just did.
    ----------

Edit: OOOps! Yes they do! I found it...my eye skipped over it. That's awsome! Do they have one of those for every state?? I wonder what the abbreviations mean? See...if we had something like that, that would let us know which plants are in what counties in each state, then we would know what areas we need to keep an eye on for development and be ready with rescue teams if they are needed. In other words, no need to have teams ready in states like Kansas and Utah. But we might need a team for Brunswick NC. See?

"Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michigan keeps a list of plants by county. This is done by the DNR. I belive you can get this info from thier website. Also a cool site to check out is the national plant database from the USDA.

If you visit these and other sites you will see that some states are better than others when it comes to keeping track of flora and fauna!

Glenn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in the great state of Florida, unfortunately the home of the former Crestview site. I would be glad to assist in any plant rescue here, but if there is anything a little more mundane that an average person can do let me know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where will all the rescued Sarrs go? If NASC rescuers begin finding themselves with carloads of plants and no one willing to take them anymore, we'll have a serious problem.

Maybe relatively few plants should be collected for distribution from each location. That'll lighten the load on rescuers and help maintain the excitement among the lucky recipients. We can't save them all and, by flooding the membership with the first few rescue efforts, we could limit our ability to respond to future sites.

Just my $0.02.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all I want to say that PAK is taking the credit for my idea, If you look back through the NASC forum you'll see that I suggested that we get at least one person in each state to watch over the sites. You're going to have to pay for this one PAK. No grapes for you.

Anyway I am from Brunswick county and I know the area very well. I also know alot of the people there. I can tell you that the political system there is very corrupt. I can see what I can do. I still visit the area a couple times a year and I try to visit every site I know about everytime I'm there. I also know somebody that I think I should;d see if I can get to join the NASC. He will be an invaluable resource for us. I plan to move back there soon and I'm in the construction industry so I can get info from the inside. I had already planned on doing this when I get back anyway. Pak if you get something printed up mail it to me and I'll hand deliver it myself to the powers that be in Brunswick county.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool. I will work on those things. And I wasn't stealing your credit. I have a memory like a sieve and didn't remember that. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] But hey...I don't care about credit. I'd just like to see it get done. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] And you owe me so many grapes by now that one memory lapse doesn't erase the debt. HA!

I think it would be good if we could get more than one person per state if possible. That would make it a little easier to cover.

So...maybe an assignment should be given to some of those folks who said they were willing to offer assistance? A list of Sarracenia states and NASC members who live there?

I can work on some letters and the brochure which could accompany any letters so people know what the organization is about.

And if anyone thinks a "Permission to Collect" form would be good, I can do that too if I can get help on what would need to be included in it to cover all bases.

Good try but you can't get out of those grapes so easily, Ozzy! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about starting a list in the NASC section for people to list states/areas they can get to? Some people have posted in a few different places, including here, but it would be helpful to have one stop shopping.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast