Thread: Brunswick county

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi people,

Let's stay on topic here.

I was wondering if the backdoors were covered yet:

- what if you don't get a reply from your lettre and it's binned ?
    - what if the local policymakers or developpers don't grant you
    permission to get the plants ?

Sounds pessimistic but you need to plan these things ahead while you still have the luxuary of time.

How many plants are we actually talking about, how many people would it take to uproot them, transport them and how many people have signed up for giving them a home?

And last but not least, who's gonna cover the costs ?
    Costs could be gained back from actually selling the plants, but I don't know of that's 100% ethical because you'll be flooding the market and eventually punishing the people who make a legit living out of sarracenia trading. (yes, I know, the ethics of land-development, but I think discussing that is a waste of posts in this thread)

Sincerely,
    Fred

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frederick, the plants are not for sell. Their seed will give us exactly what we need for the NASC. Locale specimens available to one and all for the price of shipping it to you. We will give away seed and seedlings to any and all interested in having these plants from developer rescues. Placing the plants is not as difficult as you may think, and we have done it before with excellent results. As far as the people who do this, we have some in the NASC that do nothing else, and anyone who wishes to help, jump on the bus. The guidelines we follow will be from the ICPS collecting rules, as we work hand in hand with them. If not getting permission will stop you from pulling a plant from in front of an encroaching 'dozer, don't show up. I will NOT stand by and let them be purposely destroyed. We have to balance ethics with collecting, and that is a primary goal!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think Sarracenia placement will always be so easy. Right now there are plenty of people who'll take free plants. But will that continue as people receive their third, then their fourth, then their fifth ... nearly identical S. flava? I have no doubt demand will always be there for the striking forms, but many of us can take very few plants. And it won't always be so easy to find people willing to travel for a long day of collecting followed by packaging, mailing, etc.. Especially if the demand does dwindle and collectors find themselves with unwanted plants.

Somebody mentioned somewhere about doing teacher in-service training and that seems a great way to place plants. The drawback is that schools aren't such busy places in summer, when Sarracenias most need attention. But if a teacher was taught how to care for a small bog planting and could get it home for the summer, maybe a lot of Sarrs could be placed at schools.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lotsa possibilities there, eh? We will cross our bridges as we come to them, and make whatever adjustments that are necessary. Placements are a good idea too. Good thinking, Bruce. Bring that one up when we finally get a conference meeting with all of us talking up our plans. Dean Cook has plenty of room for excess rescues, and can definitely place them.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While Dean Cook has room and can give them away like he does S. oreophilas, we'd sure appear to be collecting plants for a dealer. That's an appearance NASC has to avoid.

It seems backwards, but I think collecting too many plants at this stage in NASC's existence is worse than collecting too few. We need to get organized and establish a track record with manageable projects.

By the way, did the Crestview site distribution information get into a database?
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure, but I think Bruce just made reference to "too many plants."

I'm not acquainted with this concept. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]- what if you don't get a reply from your letter and it's binned ?
    - what if the local policymakers or developers don't grant you
    permission to get the plants
    Here's my answer the these questions.

If you don't get a reply, write another letter, call them on the phone, show up in person, do what ever it takes. I learned in a class I took one time that the best way to get a letter to somebody is to use Fed-ex. If you send a Fed-ex letter it will get their attention. They will know that you are serious and they will be serious with their response.
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] what if the local policymakers or developers don't grant you
    permission to get the plants
    The time to start saving the sites are now, not when they are being drained and dozed. I've said this before but what you need to do is find a site that is closest to you, contact the owner, inform the owner how rare the plants are. The most important thing to do is to make friends with the owner, don't make threats or demands. Be friendly and get permission to visit this site from time to time and make sure that it stays healthy. If the owner decides to sell the property then repeat the process with the new owner. If he decides to develop it then if you have done the above steps, he'll have no problem with letting you save the plants. If the new owner wants to develop it and don't want to talk to you, write letters, make phone calls asking for permission to save some of the plants. You still need to be friendly and non-threatening. If all else fails then write another letter and say that you're going to inform the public as to what happening. If no response, write the local newspaper, radio stations and TV stations, stand in front of the property with a sign. If you have done all this and they still bring the dozers. Do whatever you feel you need to do. This is not a job, it's a sacrifice, you will never be repaid for what you've done or the money that you have spent. So sacrifice as much as you are willing to. I know how far I'm willing to go, I won't stand there saving plants while I'm getting shot at. But anything below that I'll do. I'll pay a fine for trespassing and theft. I've been to jail for way less then trespassing, I'd be proud to go to jail for saving some plants. It'll even get publicity and get my message out to the local public.

As far as finding homes for the plants, don't worry about it. If you have a bunch of plants die, because you can't find a home for it, that's ok it was going to die anyway. At least you tried. If you can't find homes for some, then send it to me I have never turned down a cp in need of a home. If you're worried about having to sell some plants to make it worth your time then don't bother trying to save them in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife thinks she's too familiar with the concept.
    Bruce in CT

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast