Check this article out.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld....798.htm

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] Posted on Mon, Aug. 02, 2004

N.C. GROWTH

Brunswick planners map out development

By Steve Jones

The Sun News

BOLIVIA, N.C. - Developers will submit plans for putting houses, commercial buildings and parking lots on 50 percent more Brunswick County acres this year than in 2003, if the pace seen in the first six months keeps up through the rest of the year.

The demand will only increase in the next few years, as the county's West Regional sewer system comes on line and officials solidify plans for new lines serving the southern end of the county.

"We've seen growth," said Leslie Bell, Brunswick County's planning director, "but we'll see a different type of growth."

Central sewage treatment and improved roads planned by the state Department of Transportation will not only bring more residential development to an area that's become an alternative to intensely developed Myrtle Beach and Wilmington, but there will be more commercial projects and mixed-use developments similar to Horry County's Carolina Forest.

The county is approaching what some anticipate to be an impending boom with a rewrite of its zoning ordinances, an update of its Coastal Area Management Act land-use plans and the creation of a unified development ordinance.

The combination will allow developers, elected officials and residents a clear picture of what Brunswick County should look like for the next 10 to 15 years.

Bell hopes to have the parameters ready within the next few weeks so consultants can bid on the zoning ordinances rewrite. With an eight-month timetable to completion, it will be the first of the three to reach fruition. The unified development ordinance, which will take development requirements and group them to be easier to use, is likely to take shape on a similar timetable. The land-use plan update is a two-year process.

Bell said the county expects the zoning rewrite will cost about $60,000. Officials chose to let consultants do the work because the county's five-person planning staff has all it can handle in dealing with an average three to five new projects submitted each month.

The county will direct the consultants to target a look at permitted uses in each zoning district, requirements for buffers between commercial and residential development and the use of performance-based development standards. The latter will give developers more flexibility in that standards will be tied to things such as setbacks and green space.

Bell said the county is not looking to change zoning classifications, but some areas may see their specific zoning changed to reflect the new sewer lines and roads.

He said the rise of mixed-use development may ease pressure on secondary roads. For example, if St. James were a mixed-use development, its 1,800 residents wouldn't have to rely solely on N.C. 211 every time they needed groceries.

Bell said he doesn't expect the rewrite to include any radical departures from existing policies. Officials still want less-intensive development and more green space than in either Myrtle Beach or Wilmington. He did say that the distinction between rural and agriculture classifications might be clarified in the rewrite. Now, he said, developers use the rural designation as a "holding" zone for property until they are ready to submit plans. With clarification between it and agriculture, potential buyers would know that the property next to theirs will be farmed and subject to the dust and fumes that come with growing crops.

Bell said the county wants residents and developers to be a part of the rewrite process. The consultants will be required to hold public meetings for input and feedback.

The county planning board will have the first chance to tweak planners' recommendations and make changes.

But the decision over the final wording will be up to county commissioners.

Bell wants to have a document ready for their consideration by June.
    Since Brunswick county is one of the most well known cp locations in the country, you can be assured that this means alot of cp's will be destroyed. I don't think there is anything we as a group can do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once the infrastructure of sewers is there, development is on a roll that won't be stopped. Land has undoubtedly been changing hands for years as speculators run up the property values and cash in. Lots of people are looking to make a windfall and development restrictions threaten their profits. Unfortunately, by the time a prospective development makes the news, stopping the development is nearly impossible. Short of buying the land at the speculators price, anyway.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, go see if any CP land is being developed, get permission, and save some plants. That's what we are here for.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say we draft a letter to send to the county's development branch explaining NASC and its mission, and ask for permission to collect the plants that will be destroyed by this development. I think we should have a letter of this sort on file ready to send out any time we find an area with CPs that is going to be destroyed. How could they possibly deny permission to collect something that will be destroyed any way?

This is where the brochure and marketing materials come in. We have to show that is is a SERIOUS program and not just a bunch of plant nuts out to get a free plant. The more "official" everything looks, the more seriously it will be taken by counties and developers (I hope).

Only thing is...we'd need someone in the area to actually go there and find plants and do the collection. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Maybe we need to develop "rescue" teams in each state...sort of like a CP National Guard who is ready to go into action when the need arises. And also mapping of areas so we know where the CPs are?

I hate to see a site go without a FIGHT. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PAK, You are a genius! All points are valid, and the letter to the developers would be the thing to have. We need to get Casper in on this. Maybe it would light a fire and get him moving faster. He's probably doing all he can now, but we need to get legal. Who wants to help with North/South Carolina rescues?? Step up and be counted. I think Brooks and Jim Miller should lead the rescue if needed. Anyone else??

45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PAK, that is brilliant.
    I wish I was closer, in these cases, as the 1980 CPN with the all red form(altropurpurea?) and others from Brunswick County were just amazing to me(still are).
    I guess it just needs to be investigated whether this is cp land or not.

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the CP National Guard idea! Glenn Petersen reporting for duty. You can count me in for Michigan and the nearby Great Lakes Region (OH, IL, IN, etc.). In case I miss a post for my gaurd troops region, everyone please send me a PM or e-mail if anything pops up.

I wish I was Closer to NJ.

Glenn

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay me! hehe J/K! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Well it make sense doesn't it? NASC needs to be READY when the rescue calls go out.

I know there are far more knowlegeable folks here who know which states have sarracenia and perhaps a breakdown as to counties where they have been found? Then maybe we could match NASC members to a state or area who can be a "National Guard Rescue Team" member. hehe I like that. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] We need more people than just Brooks, Jim, Jay and a few others who go out and dig when its a last-call for the plants.

I can draft a developer letter and then put it up for critique. I can create temporary letterhead (until logo is decided) so it looks professional.

I guess we could find out who to contact in any given area thru Chambers of Commerce?

C'mon you NASCers! We've got to get organized and ready to take care of business! Its too easy to find people to take plants. We need help in other areas too. Maybe some of the people who posted in the pinned topic could help?

Glenn...count yourself as the first National Guard Rescue Team member to stand up and be counted. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Hmmm...maybe some of those who have done these field collections before can post some tips or rules as to how to go about it for anyone called to duty who is inexperienced.

I think when someone is doing a sensitive field collection for propagation for the project some expert skills and knowledge are needed but perhaps for a last-ditch rescue effort, this can be open to just about any one who can give the time and effort.

BTW...this may be a stupid question, but do states keep records of the types of plants found in their state? Who might know that info? Botany department of a university?
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast