What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here's the deal.

In April 2003, the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (NCDACS) passed a rule making Oriental bittersweet (Celastrus orbiculatus) a "Class C Noxious Weed." That means that in North Carolina the plant is illegal to be distributed and sold. The reason for this status is that the non-native plant can spread rapidly and without control, and transform native, rich ecosystems into a monoculture of Celastrus orbiculatus. This is another plant much like the more commonly known kudzu.

The NCDACS is considering creating an area in western NC where Celastrus orbiculatus could be sold. Why? Because some craftspeople like to use the stems (which bear colorful, viable seeds) as wreaths. The wreaths get bought, transported, displayed. The fruit inevitably fall off, or are eaten by birds, and the seeds are then spread to new areas.

Celastrus is not widely spread in western NC, but it has great potential. Furthermore, it could transform those areas that house rare carnivorous plants, such as Sarracenia jonesii and Sarracenia purpurea var. montana. The Sarracenia jonesii sites have been bought  by the NC Plant Conservation Program (run by, oddly enough, the NCDACS!), but even protected sites could be damaged by Celastrus orbiculatus. (Birds do not know they should not fly into protected areas if they have weed seeds in their guts.)

I hope I have managed to convince you that the NCDACS is making a mistake in creating an area in western NC where Celastrus orbiculatus could be sold. I encourage you to write to the following address:

Mr. Britt Cobb
Agriculture Commissioner
North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
1001 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, North Carolina 27699-1001

and voice your opinion on the issue. Please write politely, and without profanity or insults. Spell check your letter.

THE LETTER MUST BE RECEIVED BY 19 OCTOBER!

Thanks!

Barry

I'll try to get one out this weekend too.

I did some surveys of that species when I lived in Maine and remember finding one beneath a good sized spruce on a little plot of town land.  I think it was the furthest east I found the species and was well beyond the last I had seen.  The plant probably had never bloomed in that dense shade, but it looked like it had been hanging on in there for a long time.  Eventually, it'll spread out into better light or the tree will die.  Then that well rooted plant will bloom and fruit, birds will feed, and onward it'll spread.  And, given that I saw the plant ~15 years ago, it's probably already happened.

I'll get a letter off later today.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Oct. 10 2004,6:41)]I'll try to get one out this weekend too.

I did some surveys of that species when I lived in Maine and remember finding one beneath a good sized spruce on a little plot of town land.  I think it was the furthest east I found the species and was well beyond the last I had seen.  The plant probably had never bloomed in that dense shade, but it looked like it had been hanging on in there for a long time.  Eventually, it'll spread out into better light or the tree will die.  Then that well rooted plant will bloom and fruit, birds will feed, and onward it'll spread.  And, given that I saw the plant ~15 years ago, it's probably already happened.
I know this is random, but what in the world IS your avatar? So mind boggling
smile_k_ani_32.gif

it looks like a sports dog biting the leg of another dog or a cow.

Why did you guys have to bring that up??? I can't stop looking at it now...

My letter is typed and ready to go. I'd hate to see Sarracenia purpurea var. montana threatened by this weed. Its one of my favorite Sarracenia.

Homer

nah, that's not a cow. it's another dog. I was wondering too :p what a ....strange.... altavar :p
ps. what is YOURS spec? I only see a red X

As the one who's inflicted that avatar upon the public, I will explain it. It's our Brittany spaniels, with the young one being his usual obnoxious self. The old one does not appreciate being called a cow.

Hey Folks,

Alas, the NC Department of Agriculture caved in to the special interest folks who use Oriental bittersweet to make holiday wreaths (which, of course, have bazillions of seeds on them, thus spreading the invasion).

See:
http://www.citizen-times.com/cache/article/editorial/71472.shtml for a short article on this (look soon, I don't know when the article will be taken down).

Alas, alas, alas.

Barry

That's an impressive article Barry posted.

There goes the neighbor hood.

Back