Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hiding vs. publicizing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tre, Some of us old fellas already know where they are simply because of the time we have had studying these plants. Barry knows I know where some things are, but I won't tell either. It is best not to push it too far. My gripe was with the maps being published for all to see, and that is dangerous. I wish folks were more patient and willing to wait for "the plant of their dreams." I mean, if raising CP teaches you anything, it teaches you patience. NASC will get started, even if unofficially at the start, and some of these plants are going to be available to one and all. Maybe then a published map that shouldn't be there now, can be there then, without fear.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the past few years, I have discovered the location of four different local Sarracenia purpurea sites.
    I found them by asking people I have met on this forum and other people "in the know"..
    they knew me well enough to know that I was a genuine CP enthusiast, and was only interested in seeing the sites to photograph and enjoy them, and not to poach or damage them..

so my point is, if you want to find out local sites for the sake of conservation, you can find out where they are!
    just by finding the right people, and convincing those people you can be trusted..
    if I got an email from someone I had never heard of saying "dude! can you tell me where those cool bug catcher plants are?" I would ignore it, and tell that person nothing..
    but if was someone from this forum, who is a regular poster and obviously a hobbiest, then I would be more willing to share.

I dont think any CP sites should be posted on a public forum like this, ever!
    it makes it far too easy for poachers to find prime locations..
    share information only with those you know and trust!
    dont give it up for the world to see..
    if your heart is in the right place, you will find out where they are..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to agree with Scotty and others, if someone wants to find out, let them work at it, most likely they will have to go through people who have conservation of the site as a primary interest (thust the site still being there). And I don't think whether the land is private or not should be an issue:

Case in point, my parents ranch has several healthy black walnut trees on it, these are a rarity in south texas, if the location of the trees became known, I have no doubt someone would come in and pluck the smaller trees out of the ground. This has happened several times to our neighbors, I think the only reason it hasn't happened yet is my father and bro-in-law are constantly shooting on the property. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am still of the mind that until the NASC can make these ESA listed plants as common as cars on the highway, maps of any kind on their location should not be allowed to be posted!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree wiht you bugweed. I just meant if you get out of the hobby let an "old-timer" know. Someone reliable. I seriously doubt anyone knows where some plants are that I know about. Inless you hav4e lived where I have lived of commonly troop through well I will not say here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12