3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]N.C. areas eyed for new 'Unique Wetlands' designation
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]By Steve Jones

The Sun News

SHALLOTTE, N.C. - North Carolina may designate three wetland areas in Brunswick County among the state's first round of a new Unique Wetlands classification.

The classification would protect the wetland from any development other than that deemed to have a public need.

The four areas in Brunswick total more than 120 acres and are on land The Nature Conservancy owns along Myrtle Head Road and in the Green Swamp.

"There aren't that many sites left that haven't been plowed up or aren't grown over," said Hervey McIver of The Nature Conservancy in Raleigh, N.C.

The sites are among 30 being considered in 20 counties statewide.

Although one of the Green Swamp areas is just miles from a proposed private landfill in Columbus County, its designation as a Unique Wetland likely won't affect the landfill's permitting, McIver said. The two sites drain into different watersheds, so runoff from the landfill would not affect the designated site.

Two of the sites have plants that are classified as federally endangered species and threatened plants such as the Venus' flytrap and pitcher plants.

The third site, a small cypress pond, is home to frogs and salamanders found nowhere else.

McIver said there are a number of similar ponds in Boiling Spring Lakes but all have been altered somewhat by the development around them.

The Myrtle Head Preserve, which is near Ash, N.C., in the most northwestern corner of Brunswick County, is one of three areas nationally where Cooley's meadowrue is found. A second population is in Pender County; the third is in Florida.

The plant grows only in areas where marl desposits underlie the land and depends on fires that burn taller plants and trees so it can get the sunlight it needs.

The Green Swamp savanna site has rough-leaf loosestrife and Carolina goldenrod among other rare plants.

McIver said North Carolina is precise in the areas it has proposed for the Unique Wetlands classification. The Nature Conservancy owns 72 acres at the Myrtle Head Preserve and 15,551 acres in the Green Swamp.

The state chooses the sites to be classed Unique Wetlands based on the presence of endangered, threatened and rare species.

Private land will not be considered for the classification without permission of the landowner.

All the sites being considered in the initial round, except for one in New Hanover County owned by the federal government, are either in state parks or are owned by The Nature Conservancy.
    Proposed Unique Wetlands

Myrtle Head Preserve

Wet pine savanna, 36.6 acres

Green Swamp

Wet pine savanna, 81.23 acres

Cypress pond, 3 acres
    http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld....598.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Near the end of the article, it says, "Private land will not be considered for the classification without permission of the landowner." So the private land most at risk is excluded. Earlier in the article, it says, "The classification would protect the wetland from any development other than that deemed to have a public need."

So it basically only applies to public land and, since any development on public land is probably considered a response to a public need, it doesn't really offer any additional protection to public land either. Programs like this allow anti-environmental or spineless politicians and public agencies to give the appearance of doing something they haven't actually done.

I hate to come across as cynical, but things like this are what made this way.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a small step in the right direction if but for nothing else other than to heighten public awareness. I'm for it. Baby steps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I'm especially cynical because I work for a regulatory agency. Or maybe I was just born or raised this way. But I think there's a big difference between a small step in the right direction and something that just pretends to be one.

A program that protects land already owned by the Nature Conservancy or in a state park does essentially nothing for wetlands. But it allows anti-environmental politicians and money-grubbing environmental organizations to strut around about their record of protecting wetlands. I think that's a big negative that overwhelms the minimal extra protection.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can certainly appreciate your position. To me, I'm so desperate for relief in my area that I am absolutely ecstatic if a newspaper even acknowledges the fact that we have environmental issues that aren't going to go away.

Recently HGTV acknowledged that some plants were not in the best interests of our fragile ecosystems.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv....00.html

Baby Steps. That was a major first to the best of my knowledge coming from the folks who have been espousing the benefits of adding exotic invasive plants such as English Ivy, Purple Loosestrife, Burning Bushes, Bradford Pears, Buckthorn, and even Salt Cedar to landscape designs for years. Some of the plants they showcased/highlighted made me want to go ballistic. Here are a few more plants I am relatively sure they have helped viewers "integrate" into their gardens over the years; Lily Of The Valley, Ox-Eye Dasiy, Queen Annes Lace, Reed Canary Grass, Phragmites, and Dame's Rocket. Some of these are major wetland invaders. It has been my experience that HGTV has been a major promoter of plants that wreak havoc in our environment.

Point in context, this is what they consider a gardening boo boo-
    http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv....00.html

I believe the quality of any wetland is dependent upon the quality of our uplands. We need to start seriously protecting our wetlands and that is going to go hand in hand with protecting our uplands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the more reason for someone/anyone to grab seeds and plants from these endangered habitats....and grow them in their gardens. I feel that poaching is justified in areas that are about to go under the bull-dozer.

I have cardinal flower that was poached from a soon-to-be developed site in my area. I went in the fall before it was developed and got tons of seed. Now I have lots of local genotype cardinal flower, and I look at it as a hedge against extirpation, as cardinal flower(lobelia cardinalis)is endangered in my area.
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis), is a Swink 10 and it is endangered. Good for you.

I was able to get my hands on 6 Kitten Tails (Besseya bullii) synonym (Wulfenia bullii) as a gift. There's another Swink 10 that is indangered that will go in over here on my property.

I too would go for anything in front of a bulldozer if given the opportunity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swink 10?
    Bruce in CT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast