Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to tell field-collected cps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ Mar. 03 2005,4:52)]That Guy? I meant to ask someone about him. He emailed me with plants to sell/trade that had rediculously low prices and way to many plants for just having "extras".
    How cheap are we talking?
    I was thinking S. rubra, in Nature, did not grow in sphagnum or around it.
    I am inclined to agree with Rattler that it could be a bog garden or they could be on his own property..

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Mar. 09 2005,3:00)]
    Quote[/b] (SunPitcher @ Mar. 02 2005,6:04)]It came with TONS of live sphagnum, pine needles, leaves, bugs, twigs, ect. Is this a good indicator of field collected plants

I THINK SO!!!!!
    this depends, normally yes but there are probably a number of ppl who have bogs they built in their yards that are several years or more old where you could quite easily recieve plants with "extras" like this.
    And if that's the case, they can probably explain it thus. I imagine most poachers wouldn't think to explain it that way.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guy was saying something like $3 for mature plants. He said he had about 1000 (of a bunch of different species). I think it was about 300 plants a species though. I have seen rubra gulfensis in the wild w/sphagnum growing around it.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ] I was thinking S. rubra, in Nature, did not grow in sphagnum or around it.
    I've seen Ruba growing near sphagnum moss.

Quote[/b] ]if something looks fishy its best to ask a forum mod or other person who will probably know the chances of the plants being field collected
    Very good idea, I will be happy to answer any questions (off the forums) about people that I know or suspect to be poachers. I can also ask the other mods about the person in question.

Quote[/b] ]Oh, I'm not longer suggesting anybody do this on THIS site...

If I were so inclined, I'd use my own blog.
    PM me and I'll see what I can do.

That Guy? I meant to ask someone about him. He emailed me with plants to sell/trade that had rediculously low prices and way to many plants for just having "extras".

The above is a quote from earlier discussion.

Why would a poacher want to trade? I imagine that his/her goal would be to turn a quick buck.

Just a thought, imduff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it looks suspicious, then don't do business with them. However, if the prices are that low, and they come with location information, and you don't know for sure he took'em from the wild, buy the plants, love'em, enjoy'em and spread'em around.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ Mar. 08 2005,9:58)]
    Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Mar. 02 2005,10:11)]Unless the person has been found guilty of poaching, whoever post the names and PFT could be sued for lible. While I would love to be able to do that, I don't think it wouls be a good idea.
    You can talk to many members here including myself and they will tell you who they think wild collects.
    American libel laws are laxer than those in the UK; if I'm not mistaken, in America, a plaintiff needs to prove that the defendant (a) knowingly and willfully lied, and wasn't merely mistaken/misinformed, and (b) the plaintiff suffered financial damage as a result.

I would suspect that, at least, listing the evidence that led one to believe an individual is a poacher, without stating that the individual in question is/may be a poacher (and just letting the reader draw conclusions) should be safe, provided the evidence you list is all factually accurate.
    Exactly and what you are referring to is slander. You also had to have caused damage to his good name or business. Although, if you do not have facts don't go there.

I also have an outdoor bog and you will probably get extras in the soil.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123