Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Oh, man

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it all comes down to the same basic thing. Money. The government does not want to stop getting oil. They are not interested in developing hybrid vehicles or anything that will cause consumers to stop buying gasoline. For every gallon of gas you pump into your car, the government gets tax money, they get sales taxes, they get income taxes from the oil companies making profits, they get kickbacks from the oil companies for limiting production of anything that might pull away from people buying gas.

To put some numbers to this, lets look at it like this. Lets say 100 million vehicles in the United States (to make the math easy). Every vehicle gets 5 less gallons of gas per week. 5*100,000,000=500,000,000 gallons of gas @$2.25 per gallon (current price here in California)=$1,125,000,000 per week that the gas/oil companies dont make.

So, who cares about a few dead animals and plants? Who cares about a measley few hundred million dollars spent to build and maintain the drilling system? They have to keep that gasoline flowing, thats just too good of a source of income to allow to slip away.

Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm angry at my (Hawaii's) Senators. Neither of them voted to remove the Alaska drilling provision from the budget bill. They are both Democrats, after all. If they had both voted the other way, it would have changed the outcome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]There is more oil on the Alaskan north slope than in the entire Middle East.
    I'd be hard-pressed to believe this one. The fact of the matter is that this area was designated as a refuge for wildlife and should remain undisturbed. Is nothing sacred?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Land oil spills are so much worse then ocean. I mean they are not nearly as easy (ha ha not kiding here) to clean up. And true we could have regulations but the republican's control all three houses and shortly the courts. Okay lets see approximatly this will up our oil prduction for ourselves from 32% tp 35%. Since OPEC controls much of the oil around the world (excluding Russia and a few others are not OPEC). OPEC could just produce less oil which keeps the price the same. I mean thats what I would do instead of losing money I would produce less to keep demand the same. Also this is not just about that refuge. IT's about all the refuges. Now the people with money know they can do anything with our parks if they can get people like themselfs in office.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say pave everything, who planted all these darn trees anyhow?! The only good caribou is medium rare on a bed of lettuce. I need the oil to drive my Hummer around the city. Congrass just has my, I mean, our best interest in mind.

>;-D

I'm kidding of course. Money rules the world and our government. Humans are so self centered. Just because we can use our brains to create things to hasten the destruction of our species, we think we are the superior life form. I'm afraid the cockroaches may have the last laugh.

Glenn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The House still has to pass it though (right?). I mean they did not pass it yet. So write your congresspeople (I already have written half of congress). And If they have I am sure that they did not pass the exact same thing yet and so will have to debate it a bit longer. And if both did, well the refuge is screwed

Suure april..

Great, another person to follow me everywhere and create conflict [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Anyways, if anything, the government won't drill. They'll wait until the rest of the world dries up, and then open up shop. Common sence [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (aprilh @ Mar. 17 2005,10:31)]Wow...the drilling won't kill "everything." How nice....! I guess I should be real grateful that the drilling won't kill "everything", just most things. There is not enough oil in ANWR to do squat, per US Geological Survey. Best case scenario..16 Billion barrels.

These companies are NOT clean, there are oil spills in Alaska all the time, you just don't hear about it. April
    All the time? I highly doubt it. As I said, they get big bonuses for no spills. 16 billion barrels sounds like a lot but it isnt. There's more than that up there.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast