Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Oh, man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "because some animal rights activists don't want any natural gas getting into the atmosphere. "

Wow, when did animal rights activists start fighting for the rights of gas [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] I guess its only natural. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

"The Arabs will pack up and move over here, bringing all thier trouble with them!" ... and thier food too.

Lots of Arabs here in Detriot. Let them come, I love middle eastern food.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Glenn @ Mar. 18 2005,2:41)]"because some animal rights activists don't want any natural gas getting into the atmosphere. "

Wow, when did animal rights activists start fighting for the rights of gas [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] I guess its only natural. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

"The Arabs will pack up and move over here, bringing all thier trouble with them!" ... and thier food too.

Lots of Arabs here in Detriot. Let them come, I love middle eastern food.

Glenn
    AND their jacked up gas prices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actualy the real reason is that its very expensive to transport the gas over long distances in any substantial quantity, needing to be put in a liquid state before transport. See because of its state, (GAS) its inhrently more difficult and expensive to transport. Add to this the fact that by nature its mutch less dense than a liquid, means that a higher volume is required to turn a profit. This can be remidied by liquifying it with high pressure and cold temperatures, but doing that and keeping it in that state taks alot of energy, and alot of money, to do. in some cases, the cost of transporting it is mor than its worth (how much the gass will sell for), gining no monetary incentive to the company if it a long distance from any sunstantial recipent, like in siberia or africa. Therefore, the gas is burned off or pumped back into the ground
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Its about 2 percent
    Sunpitcher, I believe you should check your calculator. 2,000 acres is not 2% OF 19,000,000 acres. It is .00011%. I find it hard to believe that small of a percentage would have any effect whatsoever.

Glenn, You are correct about the power sources used to produce electricity. But, is drilling for natural gas, strip-mining for coal, or mining radioactive material for nuclear plants any less damaging to the environment? Other than solar power, we currently have no other clean technology that we can use to produce the power we need to continue living as we do.

I notice everyone is against harming the environment but no one offers any solution. I do.

-No one should be allowed to drive a truck or SUV unless he can show ABSOLUTE proof of need.
    -The only new cars available should be hybrids and no power robbing accessories such as air conditioning, DVD players or GPS navigation systems should be offered.

If those two things were implemented, our oil usage would drop by more than 25%, there would be a world wide glut of oil on the market, the price would be cut in half and we would not have to drill in ANWAR. I am willing to accept those changes...is everyone else.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ] Is nothing sacred?
    Yes of course there is, the almighty dollar

Quote[/b] ]-No one should be allowed to drive a truck or SUV unless he can show ABSOLUTE proof of need.
    I agree.
    Quote[/b] ]
    -The only new cars available should be hybrids and no power robbing accessories such as air conditioning, DVD players or GPS navigation systems should be offered.
    I also agree that almost all cars should be hybrids.
    I understand how the ac consumes more gas, but how does dvd players, gps, and other electronic systems comsume fuel?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Sunpitcher, I believe you should check your calculator. 2,000 acres is not 2% OF 19,000,000 acres. It is .00011%. I find it hard to believe that small of a percentage would have any effect whatsoever.
    This is the initial proposition. expension sould be expected, because it always happens with oil sorces.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are hundreds of land oil spills in Alaska every year. They are VERY hard to clean up. That doesn't even count the other toxic emissions that the oil companies dump into the water and onto the land. They aren't even required to report them, thanks to our current office-holders. But the native peoples in the area DO report them. Oil companies and big corporations are historically VERY bad corporate citizens. Bhopal? Exxon Valdez, anyone?

National Wildlife Refuges, National Forests, State Parks, etc. should be held inviolate. They are a sacred trust with the people of this country...not things to be ruined for corporate interests.

And, according to the US Geological survey...the most oil ANWR could produce is 16 billion bbls. That's it. That ain't poop. It's not going to even put a tiny chink in the wall of oil-dependancy.

One Alaskan pipeline had a major land based leak because some idiot shot a hole in it.

If only our government would raise the CAFE standards of SUV's, requiring them to get just 3 or 5 more mpg... This would do the same thing as the things you suggested..but of course, we can't be doing nothing that gets in the way of corporate profit, can we?

The good news is that the sales of SUV's has peaked and is starting to go down. So when the price of gasoline gets up to about $4.50/gallon, I guess it won't matter. the SUV's will be gone. Where is it written that in America...we MUST have cheap gasoline?

Lauderdale, I don't need gps, I have maps, and Mapquest and Yahoomaps, and since one can buy gps devices in hand-held form, I don't see how their presence in a car would cause it to use more gasoline. They run off of batteries. I've used GPs devices to monitor and pinpoint the location of endangered plant species, for cripe's sake. They weren't hooked up to a gasoline engine. That would be kind of inconvenient.

I don't need a cd player either, and don't have one, and as far as I know, that runs off the battery, too. Nor do I have a DVD player in my vehicle. I have cassette and radio. They're run off the battery. They apply almost no load to the engine, from what I've been told.

Air conditioning I DO need, (which IS run off the engine itself, and does have an effect on MPG) as I have a medical condition(MS) that requires that I avoid hot weather in general, and over-heating. For instance, I don't go outside at all on hot summer days. I do use the A/C sparingly, and only on the hottest days when stuck in traffic. If I'm moving...it's windows down. April

http://yeoldeconsciousnessshoppe.com/art132.html
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Quote[/b] (aprilh @ Mar. 20 2005,4:42)]There are hundreds of land oil spills in Alaska every year. They are VERY hard to clean up. That doesn't even count the other toxic emissions that the oil companies dump into the water and onto the land. They aren't even required to report them, thanks to our current office-holders. But the native peoples in the area DO report them. Oil companies and big corporations are historically VERY bad corporate citizens. Bhopal? Exxon Valdez, anyone?

National Wildlife Refuges, National Forests, State Parks, etc. should be held inviolate. They are a sacred trust with the people of this country...not things to be ruined for corporate interests.

And, according to the US Geological survey...the most oil ANWR could produce is 16 billion bbls. That's it. That ain't poop. It's not going to even put a tiny chink in the wall of oil-dependancy.

One Alaskan pipeline had a major land based leak because some idiot shot a hole in it.

If only our government would raise the CAFE standards of SUV's, requiring them to get just 3 or 5 more mpg... This would do the same thing as the things you suggested..but of course, we can't be doing nothing that gets in the way of corporate profit, can we?

The good news is that the sales of SUV's has peaked and is starting to go down. So when the price of gasoline gets up to about $4.50/gallon, I guess it won't matter. the SUV's will be gone. Where is it written that in America...we MUST have cheap gasoline?

Lauderdale, I don't need gps, I have maps, and Mapquest and Yahoomaps, and since one can buy gps devices in hand-held form, I don't see how their presence in a car would cause it to use more gasoline. They run off of batteries. I've used GPs devices to monitor and pinpoint the location of endangered plant species, for cripe's sake. They weren't hooked up to a gasoline engine. That would be kind of inconvenient.

I don't need a cd player either, and don't have one, and as far as I know, that runs off the battery, too. Nor do I have a DVD player in my vehicle. I have cassette and radio. They're run off the battery. They apply almost no load to the engine, from what I've been told.

Air conditioning I DO need, (which IS run off the engine itself, and does have an effect on MPG) as I have a medical condition(MS) that requires that I avoid hot weather in general, and over-heating. For instance, I don't go outside at all on hot summer days. I do use the A/C sparingly, and only on the hottest days when stuck in traffic. If I'm moving...it's windows down. April

http://yeoldeconsciousnessshoppe.com/art132.html
    Prove it [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] (Asking in a nice way, not a mocking way..)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast