What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A little suspicious?

I was sitting there thinking... what I would give to have that property!!!!!

You're right, it's not illegal, but who knows if it is her property? I sure don't. If this is her property, I'm not going to tell her it's ok.

I just got these two emails from her.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]These plants are growing on my won property and I have hundreds of thousands of them. Why would you even suggest that I am poaching them?
Karen

and

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm sorry for the previous "typo". By won I meant "own".
It's presumptious and rude for you to come right out and say to me that I'm poaching these plants. I think that if you can send me an email of that nature I ought to be able to send you one back saying what I think of such rudeness.
In the future you might want to consider your words or perhaps offer concern for your presumptions to the other person before talking to someone in that manner.
I find it quite offensive.
Karen

For some reason she seems to be a little touchy about the word poaching. I wonder if there is a hidden reason for that.

If you look at my email to her I never came out a said she was poaching. I just told her what the penalties can be for poaching.

Forget the word games, Ozzy. Its her property, she can do what she wants with it. And it's, unfortunately, none of your business. Leave her alone, write her that apology because of the insinuation of poaching, and be done with it. She might be able to take legal action for defamation of character, and we DO NOT want to go there. Consider the law only when dealing with stuff like this, and know that she is in the right. Not you

Don't worry, I'm going to send her a reply. She is really touchy about this, I offered to help her in any way I could. I know if it is her land it's a losing battle, but for some reason I have a feeling that is not true. Don't worry, I'll send her a nice reply.

Dang it, OZ!! Remember my high blood pressure!!!!

She's probably touchy because she gets two or three people telling her she's poaching every time she tries to sell something.

If she has hundreds of thousands and she's only selling five, won't they be replenished in no time? Maybe she isn't blameless... but if she's telling the truth then really no harm is being done to this particular population (like, being paved over)... isn't that really all we want?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ April 01 2005,8:24)]I've emailed ebay. They generally take off such items to avoid recriminations involving themselves.
eBay generally don't care. They have thousands of bootleg and pirated audio CDs, and complaining to them doesn't work. I've tried.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ April 02 2005,7:37)]She's probably touchy because she gets two or three people telling her she's poaching every time she tries to sell something.

If she has hundreds of thousands and she's only selling five, won't they be replenished in no time? Maybe she isn't blameless... but if she's telling the truth then really no harm is being done to this particular population (like, being paved over)... isn't that really all we want?
5? Try adding 3 zeros to that. LOL

Ozzy, chill I e-mailed her she said it was HER property so we'll just assume she is telling the truth.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If she has hundreds of thousands and she's only selling five, won't they be replenished in no time? Maybe she isn't blameless... but if she's telling the truth then really no harm is being done to this particular population (like, being paved over)... isn't that really all we want?
Well, in my opinion she's looking to get paid and if she can sell every plant she will. If it is her propriety then we really have no right to question anything she does. That's why it's so important to be friendly with the person, and gain their trust. It's important to do whatever you can to keep their trust, because they have the right to tell you it's none of your business, and legally it's not.
So it's important to be open and honest with them, and don't break any promises.

wesley, What am I'm doing. I'm not harassing her. I just sent her some info.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wesley @ April 02 2005,8:55)]5?  Try adding 3 zeros to that. LOL
I was.

Five out of hundreds.

Of thousands.

Yea, she had a set of 5000 for $5000.

Sorry, Ozzy, didn't mean it that way.

Good old Germany and most of Europe protects these plants by law. You cannot take this plants from nature, may not built houses on their habitat and so on. Perhaps consider this fact when going to the ballot next time?

Cheers,
Jan

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]eBay generally don't care.  They have thousands of bootleg and pirated audio CDs, and complaining to them doesn't work.  I've tried.

They took off some poached leucophylla pitchers when I emailed them last month, no problem. Plus I have put bootleg live CDs on ebay before and they made me take them off!

Drosera in potting soil? She definately isn`t very informed on these plants! Probably the best thing to do if you where to sell wild plants on ebay would be for every one plant you take replant 5 leaf cuttings,that way you`d actually be multiplying the plants. That is assuming that you don`t take the plants faster then the cuttings can mature. Dang shes selling wild 1\4 in plants for $1 each Man start growing D.intermedia "cuba" seeds and selling them! Lol. Many things go way too high on ebay like $1.50 per egg for welsummer eggs(wich shipped eggs usualy give 25% or less hatch rate assuming the best incuabteing success) and we just got started PULLETS of show quality stock for less then $3! It`s crazy what people who read in a book they are endangered breed of chicken will pay to get one!

Yeah pondboy I was gonna say the same thing,about the potting soil for shipping!!
confused.gif
And I agree that she doesn't know much about the plants.Everyone knows you don't use potting soil.*Niki*

noah-

if you replanted cuttings, there would be a genetic imbalance.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]if you replanted cuttings, there would be a genetic imbalance.

*shudder* Sorry, but that just reminded me of the great evil that is Hardy Weinberg equilibrium... lol

In any case, I don't know how much we need to worry about this, still no bids... Still, that is kind of cruddy that since they're on her property she can do whatever she likes with them. :-\

Back