Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A different kind of threat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brooks, I hope Jim got this destruction on his video. People need to see it, and so do those supposedly in charge of the plants in the field. All you have to do is see it once, and that would be incentive enough to take action.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's terrible [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] Every week we seem to hear about a destruction of sorts. Isn't the total sarracenia population down to 3% nowadays?

However, S. alata can survive a few strippings can't they? As long as it's not done two or three times a year, shouldn't they survive?
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darn, I keep forgetting who is who. Well obviously that would be the site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ April 11 2005,10:42)]Miramar Beach and Freeport, Florida are in that fix right now. Their bog sites went up for sale. I smell a rescue maybe.
    Wow thats terrible! So after so much consevation efforts the bogs go up for sale, and bam mini malls and Mk donalds. Sad!

What goes on in these rescues and in what manner?

-Jc
    Heliamphora ... A genus that intrigues me and fills me with joy!

-Jc
    Miami, Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Owners of said land are contacted, told of our objectives, asked to sign a permission slip, and we collect plants, and send them to NASC members and growers. The bogs, if extirpated, are still with
    us through the genetics in these plants. We are preserving their genomes through stewardship, and the plants seeds, and seedlings are given away for the price of the freight to get them to you. They are only pollinated with the plants from that particular bog, and kept separate from all other bogs saved. Those genes will stay intact. Even if their home goes extinct.

45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good bugweed, Sad to hear of bogs getting paved over... heart breaking! If this goes down and the bogs are indeed route out to demolishment. Let me know, if time permits I can head over to the sites and help with the rescue. And theres always space in my sunny Miami Flroida yard for plants so keep that in mind.

Another question, are the plants ever moved to a compleatly diffrent Cp'less bog in the relative area and given a fresh start to keep the genetics naturally occuring in the wild?

Thanks for the info,

-Jc

-Jc
    Miami, Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a bit more information since this threat seems to be drawing a lot of attention. All the flowers and leuco, leuco x alata pitchers were taken at the Citronelle site but not the alata pitchers. It seems they are not firm enough to be used as a cut flower product. We saw this again at the other site too.

Jim's next DVD will show various CP habitas across the Gulf Coast as well as burned sites (i.e. managed sites) and sites actually in the process of being burned. He got some really spectacural shots of the Apalachicola National Forest being burned last year. i think the VFT at Hosford are on there as well.

There maybe more information forthcoming but when we were at Bob hanranhan's place Bob mentioned that there was a 220 ac site up for sale. I do not remember where it was but he said it was a good bog and it desreved looking into. he said they were asking to much for the land but if 100 folks chipped in $6000 each, it could be bought.

Some of you may know that 20 years ago Bob H. bought 40 acs in Baldwin Co, FL to save it and start a pitcher plant plantation. He has moved many rescued plants on to the site. This isn't the conservationists purest way of doing it but it was an effort. Bob is looking at it from a business stand point. BTW, Bob managed to get to the Crestview site after reading about the rescue and he got even more plants from there. I saw them and they were doing quite well.

Here is that stunning scene at dawn in the Desoto National Forest... Sarracenia Heaven...enjoy!

[img]http://home.**********.com/user/SarraceniaObsessed/DFNAlataRez.jpg[/img][img]http://home.**********.com/users/sarraceniaobsessed/DNFAlataRez.jpg[/img]
    I remain a man obsessed with a genus
    Brooks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW! stunning picture Brooks, Sad to hear of mass collections like these.

-Jc
    Miami, Florida

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast