Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A different kind of threat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about it Brooks.It's a shame these plants are poached/cut up/destroyed and the like. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img]

Jerry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful photograph!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the site is deamed significant maybe the nature conservancy may help. If not maybe we could start our own fund raiser if the land is truely available.

Glenn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job again Brooks.

"...100 folks chipped in $6,000 each...."

Or 1,000 folks chipped in $600 each....

Even 10,000 folks chipped in $60 each.

Maybe 100,000 folks chip in $6 each.

This is the challenge of conservation. We are losing so many sites - where does one start?

We can not save them all.

$600,000 to save just one bog and irreplaceable Sarracenia and other native plants.

At some point in our struggle, we will be faced with one bog left to save. Why wait? Let's save this one.

I think that the tactic of divide and conquer should be employed here. We must face facts - CP are cherised by a handful of peoples.

We must enlist others in our struggle.

The niche that Sarracenia have adapted to, also are filled with many other plants and animals. We must include them if our struggle is to be successful.

There are many endangered woodpeckers within these environments.

This unique habitat is shared with native orchids. Enlist and embrace the orchid lovers. Orchids are the #2 most popular plant(#1 is the poinsettia). That is a lot of foot soldiers to join our cause.

In one bog that I know of, there is a rare corn snake found there. It brings many hundreds of dollars on the open market. Enlist the reptile lovers too.

I say, let's not be so myopic in our vision of saving only CP. We occupy a narrow interest subject. Let us enjoin others that are equally passionate about their own interests that overlap in the CP niche.

More broadly, bring our issues to the awarness of all conservationist and individuals that wish for a better environmental existence.

Tweek
    \"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.\" - EInstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh Bugweed I think you got a different message. Here's the permit application for harvesting plants in Fl out of the wild to be used for rescues.
    Request for permit to harvest can be found at the following address:

http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/onestop/forms/08051.pdf

Sorry for intruding on your thread Brooks.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know the laws or rules regarding rescuing plants in Fl. I'm speaking from total ignorance. But from reading that request here are my thoughts.

I would think that having to apply for a request, and wait for it to be granted would stand in the way of saving a lot of plants. When we are faced with a situation like that, we normally have a very limited time to act. Sometimes we don't have time to wait for a request to be granted.
    I also don't know how long it takes to get the request granted.

Just my thoughts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oz and Tre. Don't worry about that. I have folks on that right now, and they are already doing the legwork. We know of many highways to be sites that are going under, and want to rescue them legally with the States blessing. I am definitely on this one. Have been for a while. KEEP IT LEGAL!!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree Bug, we need to keep everything legal. I'm just worried that having to wait for the state to give us an ok will cost us many sites. I just wanted to bring a potential problem to everybodies attention.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast