Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A different kind of threat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have just returned from a three day bogging trip with Jim Miller and Stewart McPhearson. As you will remember, Jim is producing the CPs of the Southeast DVD series. This installation will include some stunning shots of native stands of Sarracenia in flower. The alata stands in MS shot at dawn are absolutly breath taking, huge sweeps of pale creamy yellow flowers streaching out for acres. Ditch banks cover in ping. lutea in flower and Drosera brevifolia budded and in bloom.

The savanna at Bob Hanranhan's property was not to be belived. Everything you would ever want to see and more. BUT, I digress.

The reson for this posting is to report the extreme disappointment, bewilderment and dismay at what we found at the Citronelle site and at a site just up the road near Chatom. Upon getting out at Citronelle we found that a huge piece of equipment had been driven through the ditch creating huge ruts in the soft mud and crushing some of the most spectacular psittacenias I have ever seen anywhere. The pitchers are so large on these clones, we call them psittacenia golfballensis. None were to be found. When we got into the bog proper, we found there were no flowers or pitchers showing. We found that very odd having just come from the staggerly beautiful alata sites North of here. When I looked closer I found stubs where flowers and pitchers had been. Every single pitcher and flower off of EVERY plant was gone. It looked like sping had not even come yet. There were a hand full of flowers that were just opening that missed the shears. This is no small feat considering there must be 5000 to 8000 plants on this one site. We left crushed and disheartened.

We ventured up the road to two more sites. We were encouraged when we got to the first site and there were flowers and pitchers but when we got to the second site our hearts sank again. Again, the same scenario, just about every single pitcher and flower were gone. This was staggering due to the fact that this was a 30 ac site! I cannot begin to imagine how long or how many people it would take to stip a 30 ac site of almost every flower and pitcher. We all were heartsick. Now, talk about disrupting the natural cycle of seed production and gene dispersal. I can think of nothing worse short of total destruction. I know that the collection of pitchers and flowers is a cottage industry and that it is legal with the land owners permission but we were certain that no permission had been granted on these sites to collect. There was no one to stop these people. It was infurating and sickening all at the same time. We felt helpless.
    I remain a man obsessed with a genus
    Brooks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude that sucks!!! I know the site local (I think) but have not yet visited due to the bloody hail, lighning and rain. Jeez I would have really liked to see them.
    I think that is a problem everywhere though. I hear in Okee just off the road people go and cut S. minor flowers (b/c they are so pretty). It's rdiculous

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And there was a debate here a few months back that, poaching is no longer a problem. I guess this puts an end to that argument.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, there were signs of poaching at several sites but I hardly think the number of plants removed from those sites could ever equal the damage done to a site if the flowers are cut ever year or the weakening of the plants from having there food source removed. That would be a slow death for sure.
    I remain a man obsessed with a genus
    Brooks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very disturbing that our only legacy of places like this will be Jim Miller's DVDs--if he can get there to capture them in time. I use the first one in the series to educate kids in schools quite often. Perhaps another in the series should show more destruction, bulldozers etc. to raise awareness.
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The point wasn't that poaching is no longer a problem. It was that habitat loss is a greater threat, except in places with protected or plentiful habitat.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Miramar Beach and Freeport, Florida are in that fix right now. Their bog sites went up for sale. I smell a rescue maybe.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am so sorry Brooks.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast