Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oh oooo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once found a ring with a "Hoffa" engraving, but I didn't care that much and it's under my S. leucophylla. The weird thing is that the New York Giants keep showing up wanting to play football in that pot.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. That must be one big pot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I should stop calling the pot the Meadowlands.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this interesting. Anyone offer to comment? It does seem to be a slightly commercial site.

http://www.peatmoss.com/pm-me2.html
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am familiar with the North American Wetlands Conservation Council. I would agree with much of what was written regarding peatland reclamation. In theory, it should work. Unfortunately, I believe I read that efforts may not be all that consistent and only a percentage of peatland was actually being revegetated with sphagnum moss. More restoration research is necessary. Perhaps our Canadian neighbors are in a better position to comment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. It says somewhere in there that the land could also be reclaimed into land for crops(berries), wetland habitat for waterfowl, or to forest. "Good" or "bad" I'm not sure.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when a peat mining company began operating near the Great Heath north of Cherryfield, Maine in the late 80s. It took every shortcut it could and, when we got a heavy storm, it discharged water thick with powdery peat into the nearby heathland and Narraguagas River. I saw the results when going down the river doing soils work a few weeks later. What a mess it was; everything was encrusted with dry, hydrophobic peat.

It wasn't the Exxon Valdez, but it shows what happens when regulators expect a business to invest in the "environment" without providing rigorous oversight of everything it does. Investors want profits and don't really care if sphagnum grows on the site or downstream again. It's more profitable to go strip mine somewhere else later.
    Bruce in CT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bingo!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast