0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely disheartening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barry Rice periodically goes on field trips and then posts trip reports with lots of excellent photos. A year or so ago, he made a trip to the Green Swamp. In it, he showed photos of holes where poachers dug up plants (Sarracenia & VFTs). In addition, some of the poachers are in it it for the seed. They put flags out and come back when the seed has matured to collect it. Without the ability to replenish themselves, the populations will continue to decline even if the poachers don't take the plants.

Here's a link to the middle of his field trip. Go backward to read about the sarracenia poaching and forward for VFT poaching.

Barry Rice Green Swamp Trip

Really nice picts too...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to go there either in a few hours or first thing in the morning. Maybe I'll find the holes. It really pisses me off that there are going to be 1000 less vft's to find and take pics of.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just found this article.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] Posted on Tue, Jul. 05, 2005

EDITORIAL

Stealing From Nature

It's unfortunate poachers target such rare plant as Venus' flytrap

What an asset that Grand Strand residents have access to such pristine nature preserves as the Green Swamp Preserve in Brunswick County, N.C., or Lewis Ocean Bay Heritage Preserve in Horry County.

As the coastal region's development pushes farther west, nature preserves make it possible for us to still get a glimpse of the fragile environment that existed here before hotels, golf courses and shopping malls moved in.

Unfortunately, that public access is a double-edged sword, because poachers are allowed entrance as readily as nature-admirers.

The most frequent target of the thieves in the preserves is the Venus' flytrap, a rare carnivorous plant that grows nowhere else in the world but in wetland from Horry County up to Wilmington, N.C.

Clusters of the insect-eating plant once grew along the coast, but large clusters of them remain only in such preserves as the Green Swamp and Lewis Ocean Bay.

Recently, poachers dug up hundreds of flytraps in the nature preserve in the Green Swamp. The same thing has happened in the Lewis Ocean Bay Heritage Preserve, and the thievery takes place year after year.

The poachers who take the flytraps probably sell them, but they aren't likely to get more than 10 to 15 cents for them because horticulturists grow them commercially. They can be bought in garden centers for only a few dollars.

Fines for taking Venus' flytraps can be large, but poachers rarely are caught.

Under the federal Endangered Species Act, flytraps are not considered threatened, but they are considered "a species of special concern."

Still, some worry that someday no flytraps will survive in their natural habitat.

The Nature Conservancy owns the almost 16,000-acre Green Swamp preserve. Dan Bell, project director for the Nature Conservancy, recently told The Sun News: "If we continue to have people go in there and go poaching, it will knock populations down and won't be viable."

Too bad some folks aren't content with simply marveling at such a fascinating plant, and too bad more of them aren't caught and fined.
    http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld...n/12055318.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sucks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To this date, I have never even received a reply.

"This is a copy of the following message I sent to Equilibrio
    Carnivorous Plants via Equilibrio Carnivorous Plants

This is an enquiry e-mail via
    http://www.equilibriocarnivorousplants.com from:
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hi,

I placed and recieved an order of plants. Sales No. XXXX
    One of the red venus fly traps had no roots and died. I understand that nothing in this world is perfect.

The Filiformis var. Filimormis is listed in your online catalog as
    red, but what I recieved is green. It started green and even though it has
    been in full sun for two months, it's green.

The last thing I need is another green one. While things are dormant they can get mixed up so I want to make sure if I order another one, this won't
    happen again.

Other than that, all the other plants are doing amazingly well.

Thanks."
    If this is today, imagine tomorrow.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pong...did you mean to post this here? Its not exactly topic related. If you'd like it moved somewhere else, let me know.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PAK: thats related to treaqum's dislike of ECP. ive never ordered from them but i have been wanting too....ive also had a bad experience but with California Carnivores instead. i ordered a P. 'Pirouette' from them and it came....root less, shredded, tiny as heck, and worst of all....with out a refund. i took pictures to give to Peter when i recieved it but he wouldnt accept my return request(well sorta...he never responded to my e-mails). the thing is...things happen and not all growers are like that. one nursery could be ones favorite while it could be anothers most hated....
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast