Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sarracenia purpurea var. venosa subp. montana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Folks,

I've had the pleasure of seeing S. purpurea in the wild at two NC sites (including the type location) and (AFAIK) the only GA site and the only SC site, and I'll readily admit that I sure as Kadath couldn't be sure I could differentiate these purps from ones I've seen in coastal NC, NJ, VA, or elsewhere on the Atlantic Coastal Plain. Only the plants at the type site had the curled-in hood.

IMHO.

B
    Carnivorous Plant Newsletter
    Co-editor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have learned from a reliable and very trusted source that Tom's Swamp is not in NC. So this means that I was wrong about the form I am growing and the TC clone. However, since the tag on my plant says NC and since it came from someone I figured would know I took it on faith that they were right. It seems I need to check back with them about where Tom's Swamp actually is. So, not fully my fault but I take responsibility for my screw up. And I have no clue now where Tom's Swamp is.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This a photo of var. montana from Barry Rice's site, from his trip to NC. Read about it here: http://www.sarracenia.com/trips/ncsc2005.html

Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The link does not work,but thanks for posting the picture.Thats probably what my purp will look like when it gets bigger.

Jerry

Alvin Meister - should work now [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a picture of the S. purpurea ssp. venosa var montana I have been growing for the past four years. As Homer stated, it came from the same location.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brisco! Where you been guy?????
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the typical var. montana you see about - lovely stripey pitchers and enclosed hood.

Barry's reasoning for the above being var. montana is because it's slap bang in the range for the variety. Maybe there are typical venosas mixed in, in certain bogs [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img]
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Folks,

My photos of Sarracenia purpurea var. montana are all on line at:
    http://www.sarracenia.com/galleria/g261.html

FWIW, the images of the GA plants are all from the only GA location, the images noted as "NC I" through NC VII" are all from one NC site, "NC VIII" and "NC IX" are from the "type" NC location, and "SC 1" through "SC VI" are all from the only SC location for the species.

These are field photos, so the IDs are good. For my money, the Georgia plants are very pretty.

I'd be hesitant to identify this taxon based on the nature of the venation, alone, as you can see in the photos. Even the candy-cane type venation as seen in the GA plants are expressed in plants from other locations, such as ones from the Virginia coastal plain (one such photo can be seen on the link given above).
    Carnivorous Plant Newsletter
    Co-editor

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234