What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia purpurea var. venosa subp. montana

Finch

Whats it to ya?
I read  here about this, plant and the first iv heard about it can anyone tell me if its really a subspecies? if so, what conservation methods are being implemented? Iv never heard of it so im not shure if its real or not- i was hoping someone could tell me.

Just wondering

This variety is real all right. Been growing it for a few years now. Very lovely plant.

-Homer

Check out the ICPS website under conservation initiatives for some info on preservation.

Glenn

Finch, correctly put, it would be:
Sarracenia purpurea var. venosa forma montana

The Georgia form is less desirable than the North/South Carolina form. The Carolina form has a very tightly rolled hood, and the
Georgia Form is about half and half on the hood structure, which gives this plant a very distinctive look. Go to Google, type in sarracenia photos, enter BobZ's site, and look up the form. Check the differences in the two locations, Carolina vs. Georgia. The Carolinans have the best form, IMO.

I thought it was S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. montana.

As Bugweed says, it is identifiable by its tight triangular shaped hood.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Sep. 24 2005,2:24)]The Carolinans have the best form, IMO.
I don't know, my NC form isn't all that stunning. I would really like a GA form

Alvin, you're right. Thanks for waking me up!!
Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa var. montana
There we are!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I don't know, my NC form isn't all that stunning. I would really like a GA form
Sorry to hear that Pyro. Could you post a pic maybe?

Homer

Homer, you have the N.C. form. You have a pic??

[b said:
Quote[/b] (homer @ Sep. 28 2005,10:18)]Sorry to hear that Pyro.  Could you post a pic maybe?
Nothing to be sorry about, I am not saying it is ugly or anything I just don't think it is out and out stunning. It is still a very nice plant and quite a solid grower.

I'll see if I can get some pictures up, might be a bit though...

Here is a picture of mine.

S.purpurea ssp venosa var. montana

Jerry

Thanks,I'll write it down!Yeah there was a debate on the cpuk forums about my montana not being the true montana.But I think they had the carolina plant.

Jerry

Jerry

Barry Rice and I have had a discussion on the differences in the populations in Georgia, and North/South Carolina. Pics of his Georgia excursion are in the BobZ archives of sarr photos, and can be viewed anytime. The Georgia plants are noticeably different, and a lot of the plants in this population do not have the tightly rolled hoods, and some do. It is always best to research any and all you can find on a plant before pronouncing it a fraud. The plant you have, Jerry, has been verified the montana form by Ron Gagliardo of ABG. Whoever said yours was NOT the montana form would do well to study all the forms from NC/SC and montanas from Georgia. I believe Ron Gagliardo, personally.

Sorry for the delay Bugweed, I've been away from the forum for awhile. Here's a picture of my plant as it were in 2003.
sarraceniacarolinamtn.jpg

The pics on Bobz's website now. The history behind this clone (Jeremy and I have the same clone) is unknown to us.

-Homer

Homer, the history of your plant is this:
Hails from North Carolina
Henderson County
McClure's Bog
There are quite a few of these out there, the Georgia form being harder to come by. I have 2 Georgia Forms (Pic seen, Pitcher Plant Forum, topic is Bugweeds in September.) This is the closest I have seen this form (Georgia) having the tightly rolled hood. And it isn't much. I am still after the Henderson County form. Sooner or later, it will show up. Ron Dettermann promised Barry a few of them, and has not come through yet, but I am sure he will when Barry gets grayer! There is a stand in South Carolina too, but since they are just the same look as Henderson Co, N.C., they are not easy to find in collections. I won't tell where they are, but everyone should know IMO. If these plants were in common cultivation, they wouldn't have to be hidden and sat on by the eggheads to be hatched out like chickens. Everyone SHOULD have one in their collection, and they should be able to visit them in their wild homes just to appreciate the bog and its inhabitants. Same for the s. oreophila's and all the other plants presently in cultivation, CITES plants or not. If they were common in cultivation, they would not have to be hidden at all. But then, the powers that be would feel a loss of control, and we can't have that!!!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hails from North Carolina
Henderson County
McClure's Bog

Very impressive! Talk about location data
smile.gif

I have traded several of these away over the past year or two. They divide quite nicely. Always sending out new divisions. I had to wait almost 5 years for my "standard" venosa to divide, much less send up a flower stalk.

-Homer

Well, you never got that location data from me! Too many secrets, is the cause of poaching, as well as the lack of giving for the various color/plant forms. If everyone could get the color forms they wanted, location codes would be unnecessary, and visits could be set up so one and all could visit the sites, and love the plants in place. Since you had it at home already, the visit would be for pleasure, not poaching. Go figure!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Oct. 09 2005,9:38)]Yup! Georgia form.
Not necessarily, I have seen a slew of younger NC plants and they all look like that.

Jerry, if you are comfortable posting who gave you that plant please do (and if not drop me a PM) If it is from who I suspect it is then that is the NC montana

Pyro, The plant came from Brooks Garcia. He had it verified by Ron Gagliardo. If you want to know how he got it, ask him, and do it straight up. Brooks will, no doubt, be more than willing to tell you all about it. No behind the back stuff is necessary here, just ask Brooks. Ask him, and get your answer without all this pussyfootin' around.

Back