What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I was just invited to visit with a Canadian friend

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Am I now required to procure a passport?

When i went to Quebec on a school trip this spring we had to have a birth certificate with the raised seal on it and a form of photo ID but i just had a passport.

Yes. It will take a long time to get one, though. I think I read it's backed up like three or four months. My wife and I are starting to get our passports for our trip to the Bahamas in January.

xvart.

I just renewed my passport and it took 81 days. I understand until September, to travel to Canada and the Carribean, you only have to show proof that you applied for a passport and show a photo ID. Better check on that though.

I had to get my US passport after I found out they'd made me a citizen. I've been waiting for... Probably ~2 months and I'm not even in the system yet. So since that piece of legislation requiring people to have a PP to go to Canada or Mexico passed things have gotten waaaay bogged down.

So in that regard, it'd be best to do as Lauderdale suggests and look in to what you can use as an alternative in the meantime.

You can have the passport "expedited" but that's gonna cost you extra....of course.

I think we should have a NAU like the EU so you don't need all of this passport crap. I mean, don't you also need a passport to go to US territories like PR, Guam and the VI?

You do not need a passport to enter Canada.

If you are returning by air you need a US passport or proof of application for a US passport to re-enter the US. See * below.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/brochures/brochures_1229.html

CANADA – Passport or proof of U.S. citizenship such as a birth certificate, naturalization certificate, and photo ID required. Minors (under 16) traveling alone or in someone else’s custody must present written authorization, signed before a notary, from the parent(s) or guardian. Visas are not required. Canadian immigration officials at ports of entry will issue persons planning to stay longer than 180 days a visitor’s record. Anyone with a criminal record (including a DWI charge) should contact the Canadian Embassy or nearest Consulate General before travel. U.S. citizens entering Canada from a third country must have a valid passport. HIV testing required for resident applicants who are over 15. A temporary resident applicant requires immigration medical examination if stay exceeds 6 months or seeking to work in Canada. For student or business travel, check with the Canadian Embassy, 501 Pennsylvania Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20001 (202/682-1740) or the nearest Consulate General: CA (213/346-2701), MI (313/567-2085), NY (212/596-1700 or 716/858-9501), or WA (206/443-1375). Internet: www.canadianembassy.org

* http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

U.S. citizens traveling to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or countries in the Caribbean region who have applied for, but not yet received passports, can re-enter the United States by air by presentation of a government issued photo identification and Department of State official proof of application for a passport through September 30, 2007. The federal government is making this accommodation for air travel due to longer than expected processing times for passport applications in the face of record-breaking demand.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) was mandated by Congress in the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 to strengthen border security and facilitate entry into the United States for citizens and legitimate international visitors. WHTI requirements for air travel took effect on January 23, 2007.

Adults who have applied for but not yet received a passport should present government-issued photo identification and an official proof of application from the U.S. Department of State. Children under the age of 16 traveling with their parents or legal guardian will be permitted to travel with the child’s proof of application status. Children traveling alone should carry a copy of their birth certificate, baptismal record or a hospital record of birth in the United States in addition to their passport application status documentation. This accommodation applies to all American citizens who apply for passports, until September 30, when this accommodation period ends. U.S. citizens with pending passport applications can obtain proof of application at: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/status/status_2567.html.

I'm literally a half hour drive to the border and another half hour from Some CP buddies. I plan on just driving. WillI need a passport to drive back into the US?

Jim, you can (get/apply for) a passport at many post offices now. Even my dinky town PO is issuing them. I would call or drop by your local post office and ask them about passports. They should be able to tell you what you need to have in order to get back into the States and where you can get it. They may have pamphlets, also.

I'm literally a half hour drive to the border and another half hour from Some CP buddies. I plan on just driving. WillI need a passport to drive back into the US?

By land - government document such as a driver's license or birth certificate. Take both. Copy of BC is usually ok, certified copy best.

The Department of Homeland Security is working on a People Access Security Service (PASS, clever no? - no!) with RFID. Cheaper than a passport, but way more expensive than a certified copy of birth certificate.

Back