Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: importing...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were the things you got labled correctly?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And did these have a phytosanitary certificate? Did you pay for one?
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes and yes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't a phytosanitary certificate mean its pest and disease free when shipped, so where did the chrysomphalus sp. come from? Could it have been/was it opened when it entered the US?
    Last edited by mobile; 12-31-2011 at 01:35 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The certificate could have been bogus or issued without actual inspection of the plants. That's why all plants and seed are supposed to be inspected on entry to the US. The only time a phytosanitary certificate is not required is with small seed lots under permit. However the seed still needs to be inspected.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Basically 50 seeds of one species (or whatever the weight limit is. 50 coconuts is kind of bulky and not really a small seed lot). Each species must be clearly labeled on the packets.
    NaN,

I've always had issues understanding legal documents/articles. So let me make sure I understand what you meant and what I read on: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_exp...ots_seed.shtml

In order for me to order a small lot of seeds as defined above all I need is a small lots of seed import permit and no additional paperwork. Correct?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post
    In order for me to order a small lot of seeds as defined above all I need is a small lots of seed import permit and no additional paperwork. Correct?
    I'll take a shot at this. To answer your question: yes - that's all you need (unless it's a protected species - I defer to NaN --> 621?)

However, once you receive your permit, there are directions that outline a process to follow. While the process is not difficult, when dealing with people 1) who don't like to follow directions or 2) have difficulty because English is not their 1st language -- it can end up being more difficult than it should be. To facilitate this process, I usually make up a package that includes everything (except postage on their end) so they can drop a packet of seeds in and ship it...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct on all accounts. With PPQ 587 For Small Seed Lots no phytosanitary certificate is required as long as the shipment falls under the criteria of small seed lots. PPQ 621 is required for seeds of species that are so listed in Appendix I and sometimes Appendix II. Some Appendix I seeds are allowed without permit, Some Appendix II seeds require a permit. The best thing to do is to check the CITES Appendices. If there are exceptions to parts of plants such as seeds there will be a footnote. Be sure to check these carefully.

PPQ 621 costs $70 USD. Permit PPQ 587 is free.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 03-01-2012 at 09:48 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast