Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hi cper from singapore part 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone going shopping this Saturday?

I'll be headed to FEF, both Thompson and Queensway, as well as the other Thompson Road nurseries, to start my CP collection. It would be great if I met anyone from here; I could do with the advice on which plants are the healthiest.

Will post my purchases then!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (colinliew @ June 27 2003,4:43)
    Anyone going shopping this Saturday?

I'll be headed to FEF, both Thompson and Queensway, as well as the other Thompson Road nurseries, to start my CP collection. It would be great if I met anyone from here; I could do with the advice on which plants are the healthiest.

Will post my purchases then![/QUOTE]
    Can't join you.
    When choosing among equally good looking plants, choose plant with more growth points rather than size.

Happy shopping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colin,

I was at FEF (Thomson) yesterday and I must say that the CPs needs somebody to resue them. I bought one VFT, the other one that is left is very sorry looking. As a bonus, there is a large piece of liverwort (probably Marchantia) in it. (Yes, I also grow mossess and liverwort).

The trumpet pitchers labelled as S. "Stevensii" are all very dry. I think that they did not water them yesterday. Some of the S. purpurea still looks okay. Be very selective.

There are some sundews left on the lowest tray but all without dew. Try to get one (or more&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] with a hint of the light green growing tips still visible. I bought one sorry-looking sunddew two weeks ago, but now there are now three separate vigorous growing points. So, the plants can be saved.

Each CPs should cost you about S$16.80 and do not trust the names on the price tag. Most of them are wrongly labelled.

I worry about breeding mosquitos in trays with water. So, I also bought a couple of white ceramic pots from FEF, which fits the CP plastic pots very nicely. The gap left between the plastic pot and the ceramic pot is probably too small to allow mosquitos to enter to lay eggs. Each ceramic pots costs S$4.80 and they look nice too!

I do not think that the other nurseries at Thomson have any CPs although I did not check. BTW, if you hit FEF at Queensway first, it could be advisible to buy the VFT from there, if it is still available.

Happy hunting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do they sell Pings at FEF?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, do VFTs go into dormacy in S'pore? Is it necessary to put them into the fridge?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eBeyonder, unfortunately, VFTs do not grow into dormancy in our climate. You do have to pop them into the fridge for a few months.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ebeyonder:
    FEF is not selling pings at the moment. But they do bring them in. VFT matters? Best to ask dragondoby as he's most experienced amongst us. I've kept them before and I noticed that the leaves get smaller and smaller. Somehow our weather is not that suitable for them in the long run, that is if you want to grow them year after year.

The rest:
    Redhill Market still sells neps. On weekends. N.ampullaria, n.rafflesiana and n.alata (I suspect). At about $10. 1 feet across. If anyone if keen, let me know...then I'll ask uncle to bring in next Saturday.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooh...more Neps...sounds great. I'll let you know, Cindy, first I have to make sure my current batch don't die.

Shopping update:

I hit FEF Thomson and Queensway, as well as almost all the other nurseries in the Thomson area - Island, SPA, etc.

FEF Queensway sells Sarracenia purpurea and another sarracenia species I couldn't identify - tall and thin. It also sells VFTs and an odd pitcher plant I couldn't identify - could have been a nep, but many pitchers clumped at the base, and few leaf pitchers. Best of all, it sells Nepenthes gracilis for $19.80, and huge, magnificent nepenthes alata, but for a very pricey $98.

Island sells n. gracilis and alata, their gracilis is in much better condition; each leaf has a pitcher attached, deep maroon colouration, fairly large and very plentiful. Each nepenthes costs $38.

SPA sells n. alata (I think) but most of the pitchers are withering because they don't keep them very well. $15.

FEF Thomson sells almost no nepenthes, the only one I saw there was apparently an alata hybrid but looked suspiciously like a gracilis, going for $59. It sells most of the potted plants sold at Queensway, but they also sell some Drosera Capensis Alba. Most of the potted CPs are in very bad shape. Displayed prices is $16.80, but if you ask for a discount due to poor quality, you get 20% off.

Best of all, the head horticulturalist Kumar says that in a month or so, he'll be bringing in many more CPs and setting up a special CP section. Cephalotus buffs, he'll be selling them for $20-$25. He also mentioned Darlingtonias, if anyone's interested in those.

I bought a drosera, a n. gracilis and a n. alata. Currently they're all in their old pots, and I've set them up in a shaded area of the garden, where they will not get any direct sunlight. Could anyone tell me if this is a good idea? Or should they get at least a few hours of direct sun?

Colin

9. Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast