Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hi cper from singapore part 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Colin,
    Welcome to the Joy and suffering.... of CP growing.
    Drosera Capensis Alba (stand in water ), n. gracilis? (one of the 3 native Neps to Singapore, they grow near water line, (so they like it wet) exposed to direct sun) and a n. alata will all love a few hours of bright filtered (noon sun 20~40% shaded) to direct morning sun. you can start out with less light then progressive increase the exposure intensity and length. Just monitor for sunburn.

Can you post pics of the 2 Neps, just to be sure they are what they are.

Grow Darlingtonias in Singapore? Unless your have abundant cold clean running water to cool the root, I will give it a miss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Can't wait to get my hands on them Cephalotus and Darlingtonias! Now thinking of ways to keep the water cool. A second-hand aquarium chiller perhaps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Darlingtonias are quite a handful...too much for me, for a long time yet.

I'll post pictures as soon as I figure out what's the best way to do it. Don't have a digital camera, so the ordinary kind may have to do for now.

How much sun does a drosera capensis alba need? I've been watering my two neps with pure distilled water, the soil is quite wet, and the pot is well-drained.

I'm really concerned about sunburn, because my place gets a lot of direct sunlight. I'll try and expose all three CPs to a few hours direct sunlight, before popping them back into the shade. Looks like I'll be needing a lot more water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sundew gets about three hours of full sun in the morning everyday. The rest of the day is indirect sunlight. I think that this should be enough because two new flower spikes are coming up. This from a sad looking and very dry sundew purchased from SPA about two weeks ago. It is amazing how fast a CP can recover when given the right conditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's raining now...I'm letting my neps drink it all in. My sundew's sheltered from the rain, sitting in its water tray.

Would it be advisable to trim off dead pitchers, as well as dead sundew leaves?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    colin: It's up to you really. For neps, I cut the old, brown pitchers and dead leaves when I feel that they make the plant look messy but the brown vine can look bare without them.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cindy, I'm interested in those Redhill market neps you mentioned...

Are they always on sale or do you have to go on a particular day, at a particular time to buy them?

Hopefully my current batch of plants is doing well...it's only day three, so I'll find out eventually.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Colin,

There are about 4 shops selling flowers/plants at the wet market. They used to bring in neps every week and that was when I bought my rafflesiana, ampullaria and mirabilis (2 forms).

But recently, I've only seen one shop selling it. Seems that the weekend crowd thinks it's pretty expensive and difficult to grow. I saw only one alata last Saturdayand asked the uncle if there was any other. He told me that he can get more for me if I wanted. He also said that currently, they have ampullaria and alata only. Rafflesiana is not available yet.

If you are interested, I can ask him to if he's bringing in any this weekend so that it won't be a wasted trip for you. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Cindy

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast