What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi cper from singapore part 2

It's raining now...I'm letting my neps drink it all in. My sundew's sheltered from the rain, sitting in its water tray.

Would it be advisable to trim off dead pitchers, as well as dead sundew leaves?

colin: It's up to you really. For neps, I cut the old, brown pitchers and dead leaves when I feel that they make the plant look messy but the brown vine can look bare without them.

Cindy, I'm interested in those Redhill market neps you mentioned...

Are they always on sale or do you have to go on a particular day, at a particular time to buy them?

Hopefully my current batch of plants is doing well...it's only day three, so I'll find out eventually.

Colin,

There are about 4 shops selling flowers/plants at the wet market.  They used to bring in neps every week and that was when I bought my rafflesiana, ampullaria and mirabilis (2 forms).

But recently, I've only seen one shop selling it.  Seems that the weekend crowd thinks it's pretty expensive and difficult to grow.  I saw only one alata last Saturdayand asked the uncle if there was any other.  He told me that he can get more for me if I wanted.  He also said that currently, they have ampullaria and alata only.  Rafflesiana is not available yet.

If you are interested, I can ask him to if he's bringing in any this weekend so that it won't be a wasted trip for you.  
smile.gif

Oh would you? That would be great, thanks so much.

I'm not sure if one of my neps is an alata, but an ampullaria sounds fantastic.

Even if the rafflesiana and mirabilis come in later, that would be fine too...

Cindy, may I know where is the location of Redhill market? Would love to get and ampullaria or even a mirabilis!

colin:
I'll let you know as soon as I get to see the uncle.

quqin:
It's at Blk 79, Redhill Close.  You can walk from Redhill MRT Station. Very near.

See map!  It's the place with the star.

Hi Neil here, I was just wondering if anyone uses any insecticide in the water trays that they use to stand sarracenia, VFT's in.
I don't know if a similar thing is on sale here or what its name is but in the US they use something called 'mosquito dunks' as quoted below: "<If mosquitoes are a problem, then you could change the water more frequently or, as I do, place pieces of "Mosquito Dunks" in the tray. The dunks look like little donuts and they release a larvacide bacteria that the mosquito larva eat. It was around 8 bucks at Home Depot for a pack of 6 and they last for 30 days.>"
Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Neil.

Cindy, I am also very interested in purchasing some Neps from the Redhill Mkt. Kindly let me know if they are available =)

Thanks!

Neil:
My room where I grow the plants has the windows closed for most of the day so the water doesn't evaporate as fast.  I noticed that it leads to root rot very easily in temperate CPs. I didn't leave the pots to stand in water and thus didn't use any insecticide when I had the sarras and VFTs.

quqin, colin, ebeyonder:
I've spoken to the uncle. He'll bring in some alata and ampullaria this Saturday.  I don't know how many there'll be but it will not be many because he said something like it's only me who is so interested and they will not sell. Remember it's $9.50 for an alata about 12 inches across with about 3-inch pitchers. Can bargain hor...
rolleyes.gif

Actually, I was thinking that I see cheaper neps (common ones) at the market than at nurseries...not including Woon Leng which can sell rafflesiana cheap because they "mass produce".  And for us without a car, it's good that someone actually source out the neps instead of us going from nursery to nursery.

Arggghh...regretting the fact that I didn't buy the rafflesiana when I saw it the last time...was rushing to work...and couldn't imagine lugging a pitcher plant to work in a huge red plastic bag...
tounge.gif
...got image to maintain, you know...
wink.gif

Hahah, I know exactly what you mean, Cindy. I regret not buying Island's ventrata now!

Thanks for the information, whereabouts in Redhill market is this uncle? Is he snuggled away in some obscure corner?

Also, I was thinking that we should form a consortium when buying CPs, it'll encourage the sellers to bring in more plants and lower the price. Good idea?

Cindy, thanks for asking the uncle for us!

When's a good time to visit the mkt? In the morning? And as Colin has pointed out, is it possible to describe where his shop is located? Thanks so much.

Oh, all the flower stalls are nameless. There are 3 shops facing the open-air carpark and his is the one that is furthest away from the POSB ATM machine. Remember his stall is part of the wet market, not one of the shops under the flats.

Thanks so much for the information, Cindy, will be popping by Saturday morning.

Well, I've gone to Redhill market and returned with one nepenthes rafflesiana (at least I think it's a rafflesiana) and an alata.

You're right Cindy, they're much cheaper than anything the nurseries carry. $8.50 each.

The uncle didn't seem to have any ampullarias or mirabilis, but I did ask him to bring in more in future. We should buy from him en bloc, I get the feeling he's thinking these aren't worth selling, so he may stop bringing them in.

Anyone know of any other markets that might sell neps?

Colin:
Ahh...you beat me to it.  I bought the alata last week (but I'm getting suspicious that it's a ventrata 'cos its perisomes are starting to get pointy...or am I imagining things...) and was hoping uncle would bring in something else. He did and sold it...to you.  

Quite pathetic, he brought in so few...anyway, he thought you were my brother! There's only one alata/ventrata left...let's see 2nite if any of the PFTSCPers bought it...

Will it be quqin or ebeyonder or neil <'cos he's been hanging around  
wink.gif
>?

Yup, buying en bloc get us more discounts!  
tounge.gif
And perhaps we should go to wet market more often...to buy neps...I found out about Redhill when I went there with my parents for marketing! Good food there too.

Oops sorry about that Cindy
smile.gif
Well he didn't bring in anything particularly interesting...after looking at several pictures of ampullarias I've concluded that the weird pitcher plant I saw at FEF Rideout was an ampullaria, all the pitchers were clustered near the ground.

Haha, did he? Well, at least now he recognises me.

Precisely. If he knows more people are interested, he'll bring in more and sell more cheaply. I'm greatly encouraged by this episode...I've decided to go market-trawling, in the hopes that more flower shops in wet markets sell neps.

While out today I discovered that this shop called Roselodge in Jalan Jurong Kechil had a nep on display, but I couldn't get close enough to tell what it was.

Hi all, I went down to the mkt today and got a Nep... it has green pitchers and I'll try to post pics later.

After I left, I saw only one Nep left, so I guess Cindy, that's the one u saw. Colin, there was a Rafflesiana as well? I spoke to the uncle, and he said he'd bring in more next week. I think he must be pleasantly surprised that his Neps are suddenly selling so well
biggrin.gif

I'll be back next week... going to try and get a Gracilis cos today some of the pitchers on mine were accidentally tore off, and now the plant looks bald. I'm sure they're grow back, but I feel safer with a backup. Any1 wants to sell?
smile.gif

And yep, let's exchange information if anyone happens to see CPs in wet mkts
smile.gif

I think I bought a rafflesiana, or it could have been a hookeriana. You know how bad I am with these things.

Haha, yes indeed...how much does the uncle know about neps?

Sorry, eBeyonder, can't help you there. Don't have a gracilis, though I would like one! By the way, did you get my PM?

As a follow-up to my previous post, has anyone visited the nursery near SMU in Bukit Timah? Or the one that's also in Bukit Timah, close to King Albert Park? Don't know their names, but I was wondering if they sold any neps.

Back