Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi cper from singapore part 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought the previous post was getting a little long...

Well, like I said, I'm new to CP growing, but I've always been interested in them. My first experience was a VFT that I placed in the bathroom to catch the numerous mosquitoes that kept coming in, but of course it soon died due to the inadequate light.

I'm planning on growing Nepenthes and tropical Drosera, perhaps sarracenia if I can convince my parents that a three-month dormancy in the refrigerator isn't going to contaminate the food.

I'll probably be buying my plants from FEF, but I don't like the plants they have on display...too over-handled by visitors.

Anyway, that's enough from me, great to meet all of you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A question:

If and when I buy CPs from either FEF or Malesiana, will I have to repot them? I'm not sure what medium both of them use, so I don't know if I'll have to change the soil mix.

Can anyone help me on this?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are some highlands neps you guys have? And under what conditions do you grow them?

I have n.alata (highland), n.ventrata, n.xemmerene and n.maximaXventricosa (cuttings) growing with my lowlands. They will have sudden growth spurts when the weather is extremely hot and bright.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Colin,
    Welcome to the forum.
    As a suggestion, it will good to first start with tropical CPs, except may be VFT and for neps keep to lowland. With Neps you will need more space.
    For some ideals of suitable substrate you can visit past thread in the forum, however there many websites that are rather comprehensive, one of such is at http://www.byblis.com/ Malesiana also recommend CP mixs for Neps at http://www.malesiana.tropicals.com.m...p.html#growset , but be warned that coconut peat that we purchase from Singapore may not be suitable for CPs.
    Normally I do not wash away the original substrate when repotting to a larger pot, I just remove the Cps together with the old substrate intact and add in cp mixed to fill up the larger pots. Most FEF CPs are from Holland that used largely peat base mix. Be sure to use only "sphagnum" peat moss that does not come with any additive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interestingly, the sundew and trumpet pitcher that I bought from SPA (next to FEF at Thomson) are both potted in long-fibre sphagnum only. The VFT that I bought at FEF Rideout Park was however, in peat. The sundew and trumpet pitchers are doing okay, but the VFT is looking very sorry. Re-potted the VFT and sundew (sundew growing a bit too big for the original pot) in long-fibre sphagnum only and will see how well do they adapt to the new substratum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, thanks for your help, everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Colin, I'm glad you found us here. As I told you previously in an email, the plants from Malesiana come potted so you won't need to repot them for around 9 months to a year. Did you get the link I gave you for Malesiana? Keep in touch with me via my normal e-mail as well as this forum.
    Good luck in growing cp's. If you need any more help, email me. Happy growing everyone, Neil.
    A 'pitcher gallery' is where the art is drawn by Mother Nature and a 'pitcher says a thousand words'.
    My pitcher gallery is at: http://community.webshots.com/user/neilsingapore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my last posting, there was error on the website address, it should be
    http://www.byblis.com/ try again

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast