Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Progating neps -- some local questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all again,

I've posted a more detailed post in the Neps section: here.

But I have some questions which are unique to Singapore, so I'm doing a separate posting here.

1. Where can I get Superthrive from, and at what cost?

2. Where do I get vermiculite and tree fern root fibre from? I understand a mixture of these two and sphagnum peat is a good medium for Neps.

3. For the rooting period, can I just leave the pot in the open since the humditiy here is rather high? Or do I need to put a plastic bag over the pot?

4. Again, since the local humidity is high, do I need to set the pot in water? Or do I just water it everyday?

Thanks very much for viewing [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually is Superthrive simply a plant hormone or somethg? I saw Horti's Plant Hormone. Is that ok too?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

I used Horti's PLant Hormone to try to propogate Drosera capensis and D. filiformis from their leaves. After one month, capensis failed and no reaction from filiformis so far. My Nep. rafflesiana is now visiting Singapore's sewage system two days after being dipped into dilute plant hormone. I think the concentration has to be very dilute. The concentration that I used was probably far too strong. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My answers: [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

1. It is not available in Singapore. Ever called the distributor, only to find out that they are not bringing it in anymore because S'poreans complained that their plants die from Superthrive. Why? Because S'porean so kiasu, they don't believe that it must be kept to ONE drop per gallon of water!

Superthrive contains a mixture of stuff...do a search online and you'll find its website. It'll be able to give you exactly what the potion contains.

2. FEF has vermiculite but I'm not sure about tree fern root fibre.

3/4. Do you mean when you're waiting for the roots to appear from a cutting? I soak my cuttings in water so I don't cover them.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alamak! No Superthrive? Do u use an alternate rooting hormone or do u just let the plants root themselves?

Yep I'm waiting for the roots to appear from a cutting. Since part of recommended medium for Neps isn't available, what kind of medium do u use for ur Neps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had mix success with coconut fiber. It is okay for my Nep. gracilis but one pot of an unknown Nep. died over an agonizing four months. It had been suggested that the salt in the coconut fibers contributed to its demise. Maybe Nep. gracilis is more tolerant of salt. I also put a layer of charcoal at the bottom of the pot to allow the water to flow out faster. No standing pot in water. To increase humidity (my apartment quite windy and thus usually not so humid), I put a layer of chopped up dried sphagnum moss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ebeyonder- I thought superthrive was a kind of fertilizer.
    For propagating nepenthes or anything else, you can use a rooting powder. The most common one I've seen (even NTUC supermarkets etc sell it! ) is called Tri-hormone rooting powder. It comes in a small white plastic bottle. This powder can be used to stimulate the roots of most plants.

For propagating neps - my method is to cut off the stem with a sharp knife or scissors (I read that if it wasn't very sharp then you'd damage the stem cells to prevent water uptake etc). Dip the stem in the rooting powder. Place the cutting in a pot of moist spagnum moss. Put it in a clear plastic bag, blow some air inside and tie the bag. Put the bag in a bright place but out of direct sun and forget about it for about 6 weeks!
    Actually I use 100% dead spagnum moss for all my nepenthes and they all grow very well. You can get it in a few shops with a good garden dept, FEF sells it occasionally (but expensive) or you can buy direct from HORTI. I drive down to the warehouse at Eunos and buy 10 bags at a time.
    Hope some of this helps. If you need further info, PM me. Neil.
    A 'pitcher gallery' is where the art is drawn by Mother Nature and a 'pitcher says a thousand words'.
    My pitcher gallery is at: http://community.webshots.com/user/neilsingapore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neil, that is a lot of sphagnum moss. I was wondering where to buy it in Singapore. Last I inquired, FEF didn't have it at the moment.

I was also surprised to discover FEF Rideout didn't have sand, since I wanted it to repot my sundew. Substituted perlite instead.

My neps grow in rather mixed media. One is in sphagnum moss, though that may only be the top cover, one is in an unknown media, and two are in a rather peaty medium that makes the pot very heavy after watering.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast