What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian native nepenthes

I was just wondering if anyone knew which of the Nepenthes species were native to Australia and a few details about them, like growing sizes and temperature preferences?

Thanks in advance.

Simon

Hi Simon,

I believe that Nepenthes mirabilis is the only native Australian species. I understand that there are several local variations / forms of this within Queensland, but they are basically all the same species.

As for growing conditions, I believe (from reading, not experience) that this is a lowland species, requiring warm temps (12-15C absolute nighttime minumum, probably 18 - 20C is better, higher in the daytime), high humidity, etc. BUT I don't have personal experience with this, so you are probably better asking the Nepenthes experts in the Nep Forum.

Kind regards,

Adam.  
biggrin.gif

Wales, UK.

ill comfurm that n.mirabilis is the australian sp but in the 1800s it was beleved that there was over 10 sp i think it was but they all died out maybe a commet hit the earth....hahahahahahahahahahahaha....get it??? i live in australia and i live 1 houre south of QLD border
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Matti,

That is N. mirabilis "echinostoma"(tha form comes from Borneo) that your showing, isn't it?
There is a form called the "Cape York" form that looks more typical of what people call mirabilis. There is also a form called "Rowanae" that is very much alive and looks quite different(squat pitchers).

Regards,

Joe

BTW, Why is the "Lord of the Pings" a Nepenthes "expert", lol?

i was just showing an example even tho it's a diffren't form....................and it's still a mirabilis................iv got mirabilis australian at my house

Back