What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jln kayu & ebeyonder - kind donors of seeds

Cindy

Staff member
grow in? I'm keen to grow them well and get seeds to give away too!
smile.gif

Actually, I haven't been too successful in germinating these seeds. The last time I had seeds 2 mths ago, I sowed them on a peat/sand mix with a plastic cover over the pot, on a water tray system placed in shade, I only got 5% to germinate. I think the main reason was the algae/slime which eventually covered the surface.

So, that's one thing u should not do
smile.gif

I grow this d. intermedia very such like VFT, wet mix peat moss /perlite 2:1 in 3~4cm water tray, direct morning sun till noon. It grows like weed.
Yes, it also propagate very well by leaf cuttings.

As for its growing conditions, mine are outdoors, full sun everyday, water tray. The leaves turn slightly to full red. They are in peat/sand with a top dressing of live LFS. It grows very well and propagates very well by leaf cuttings. (and much, much faster than seeds! Leaf cuttings planted at the same time as I last sowed seeds some 2 mths ago are now at least 10 times larger than the puny seedlings)

Find some time to take some pics and posting: set up of one of my tropical d. intermedia pot

D.%20intermedia.jpg

D.%20intermedia_pot.jpg

Thanks to both of you.

A picture paints a thousand words, jalan kayu...WOW!!! Now I can fully take on my project "Children Day 2004"! Hehe!

Hi, can I just find out from those who got my seeds... have they germinated? Mine haven't germinated and it's been 3 weeks?

Anyway, here's a pic of the mother plant:

dintermedia.jpg

No, mine haven't germinated either.

Mine too haven't germinated.

ebeyonder, you mentioned that the species is from Cuba so I'm wondering what's taking them so long...I'm under the impression that they are more tropical than the ones jalan kayu gave.

Should there be any stratification?

It is a tropical form as far as I know. The last time I planted the seeds it took 4 weeks to germinate, and germination rate was very low. I originally thought that was due to the non-sterile nature of the soil, so this time I made sure I sterilised it first but still...
rock.gif

Erm... have any of the D.intermedia seeds from my plant germinated for any of you? Strangely, none of those I sowed have!! Not enough warmth? Not ripe?
rock.gif

eBeyonder, I don't know about anyone else, but none of them germinated for me. I'm not sure why...

Yes it is quite puzzling. Last time it took 4 weeks but certainly not this long. This time round I waited until the seed pods crack open to harvest the seeds. Last time I simply used a toothpick to split the pods open. I'm wondering if the extended period the seeds were exposed to the elements (esp the heavy rains we've been having) caused them to spoil or something.

Hi, can I also find out from those who got my d. intermedia seeds, have they germinated?

i planted about 40 and 5 germinated

Hi, I planted both sets of seeds from the 2 kind donors, Jalan Kayu and ebeyonder, and I have to admit I didn't have much luck from either. I keep looking but can't see much action. Possibly 1 or 2 only but at the moment they are so small it could be a 'weed'.
On a different note:---
I just saw an advertisement in the straits times today, I think the ASIA section page A16 for a garden centre sale. One of the plants advertised was the pitcher plant Usual price $28, now less 70%!!. It works out to be around $10 I think if my mental sums are corrrect. There are also other plants like bromeliads etc, also 70% off.I'm telling you all this because you are my friends but I'm scared you will have bought all the plants by the time I go at the weekend!! All I ask is that you leave me at least 1 bromeliad and 1 pitcher plant!
The nursery is called the SINFLORA FLOWER AND PLANT CENTRE at 1 seletar west farmway1,(near Jalan Kayu) www.sinflora.com tel.64831133
If you are going there especially for the pitcher plant maybe you should phone first since I have no idea how many they have.
Good luck and happy growing, Neil.

For me, best germination rate was with jalan kayu's...with at least 10-15 germinated. Cool! I was so surprised they germinated in a week! So far, the seedlings are really hardly. I've transferred them from peat/sand to live sphagnum to peat/sand again but I've not lost a single plant! Then why 10-15 germinated? Hehe, I mixed them up with my spatulata seedlings...won't find out until they grow up a bit more.

Zero still with ebeyonder's...Should we consider giving them some kind of treatment? Cold/hot stratification? GAA?

Anyway, my first aliciae only started germinating after 2 months plus and the rest germinated like one or two every week. Tuberous sundews may take up to a year or more which means ebeyonder's seeds still have a chance at becoming weeds.

Don't give up...I was motivated by my aliciae. Slow and steady, but surely.
smile.gif

So strange. eBeyonder and Jln Kayu, are your intermedias the same species?

And neil, don't worry, I won't have time to go shopping this weekend...exams!
smile.gif

As far as I know, mine is a tropical form. Indeed, some seeds did germinate the last time I sowed them without any special treatment.

Having said that, after my exams, I will try the following growing conditions to see what works best:

1. Startify seeds for 4 weeks
2. Put pot with seeds in full sun, covered with plastic
3. Same as 2, except in shade.

My d.aliciae has germinated but all have died! They just turned brown!! I have had best growing rates from D.dielsiana, D.nidiformis (sp?), D.spah and one Cuban ssp.

Hi all Singaporean CPer,

May be by mid Dec. I could spare some D. intermedia for trade (for those who have Drosera to spare) or for free for those who have nothing to trade. 6 portions of 2 plants (2~3 months old) each, should be available by then. Post here & PM me if you are interested

Back