What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi singaporean...

• Thread starter Cindy
  • Start date

Cindy

Staff member
My student was told me he paid $20 for the FEF ventrata!!! Anyone want to go bargain with Kumar?
wink.gif

Are you sure it was a mature one? Sometimes they have the small ones in the same 'plastic hut' as the sarracenia and vft's. I have bought a small one for $13 before. But a mature one??
I just visited FEF and Island this lunchtime. Apart from the sorry looking sarracenia in the 'plastic dome', they had 3 mature N. ventrata, priced at the ridiculously inflated price of $78!! No this is not a typing error $78!!!! As you guessed I drove straight round to ISLAND and had a choice of about 20 beautiful N. ventrata, some with quite large pitchers, at only $38! I also found at one side away from the N. ventrata, another Nepenthes hybrid labelled N. gentle. It looks like a N. maxima hybrid. Sorry guys I chose the one with the largest pitchers!! hee hee - still 4 or 5 left though. Also $38.
So I ended up with 2 mature nepenthes from Island at a cheaper price than 1 from FEF.
By the way guys, several of you recently bought the N.rafflesiana from SPA. I bought one several months ago and it remained pitcherless for quite a while until now.
You can see the pitcher at the link below.
<"Here is a photo of my N. rafflesiana (or hybrid?) that I bought from SPA NURSERIES Thompson Road. It recently produced a very  nice pitcher after being pitcherless for a few months. So don't give up everyone, be patient and you'll also be rewarded!!">
http://community.webshots.com/album/80388789sWnIgD

Hello everyone, I went to FEF Thomson last week and got a rather nice VFT. At least it looks quite healthy to me. Neil, were these still around when u were there? Anyway, I got the rafflesiana from SPA as well. It's been a mth now and yep, it still hasn't produced a single new pitcher, and its old pitchers are slowing dying off. I've since repotted it in peat/sand/perlite, and in a much larger pot. Hopefully, like Neil's, it'll start producing pitchers in no time
smile.gif
I've also been to Woon Leng and got myself several small Rafflesianas at $2 each I think. A slightly larger raff was $3. An alata (sp?) was $5, I think. They even had small VFTs at $10 each! But the ones at FEF Thomson (if still there) were definitely worth $13, in my opinion.

Happy growing!

The plant my student bought was HUGE. And pitchers were the usual 5-6 inches. I was equally surprised that they sold it to him at that price. He gave me three cuttings from that plant!
smile.gif

These are some of the times you wish you live in Singapore
biggrin.gif
but the fact that gum chewing is not allowed, will make it hard for me to live there
tounge.gif

Ah, but chewing gum will soon be allowed in Singapore after the US-Singapore FTA agreement comes into effect!

Technically gum chewing is allowed, you just can't import it.

I bought my ventrata/alata from FEF Rideout for about $19. Fairly mature. Doing pretty well (two new pitchers) in its pot of live sphagnum.

My SPA rafflesiana hybrid came with only one scraggly pitcher, and that's dead. Hasn't pitchered for a while. It's now in HORTI sphagnum moss.

Rafflesiana hybrid that I bought from Redhill is also doing well. Sprouted a new pitcher and a small one's coming up. The three that it came with have died/are dying, though. Worried that it may not get enough light.

By the way, anyone know if FEF is still carrying any healthy VFTs? And any update on Kumar's CP section?

Hi eveyone,

Have not posted on the forum for while.
My SPA rafflesiana stop producing pitcher after a falling incident. However after re-potting , it has now starting to produce pitcher with every new leaf, watered every day, with lots of water and let it drain, in bright diffuse light but not direct sun.

Look out for the long-fibre sphagnum moss from New Zealand at FEF Thomson. Looks beautifully clean but rather expensive at S$4.50 per 75 grams.

Cindy, did your student buy the ventrata from FEF Thomson or FEF Rideout? The ones I saw at Thomson today were indeed huge, but were all going for $78.

Kumar says more CPs should be coming in next week, but I don't know how reliable that is.

Any update on Island's CPs? Are they willing to bring more in?

Colin:
It's FEF thomson...but mum's a botanist so perhaps she's got a way to explain why that plant should be sold for $20?
wink.gif

Back