Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: N. gentle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, one of my Gentle's two existing pitchers is withering, but the other one's still alive.

It's very slow-growing, it's only produced two new pitchers since I've got it, but both are tiny - about 2cm compared to the existing 13cm ones.

In addition, neither pitcher produces nectar or digestive fluid or catches its own food. Which made me wonder if N. Gentle may not be more suited to an intermediate setup rather than Singapore's lowland conditions. I know Island grows them as lowlanders, but maybe the large healthy pitchers require lower temperatures and higher humidity to develop?

Or perhaps it's just a really slow grower.

Any thoughts on this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow my N. 'Gentle' as an intermediate/highland in the UK. Both my plants grow rapidly and pitcher well, with pitcher size increasing rapidly with each successive pitcher.

This hybrid is thought to be a N. fusca x maxima, so I would be suprised if it thrived under true lowland conditions long-term. However, all the Nep clones that are mass-produced by the Belgian tissue culture company Deroose Plants, have been selected for their vigour and ease of growth, so it is probably tolerant of quite a range of conditions.

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah that happened to mone also, my big pitchers are dying up and the other small one grow very slowly
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

The stock boy replied: \"No ma'am, they're dead\"

Msn/email - wezx1@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Intermediates and highlands are a no-no for us unless you can find a suitable place.

I have one maximaXventricosa at home together with my lowlands and another at work in an air-conditioned room. Trust me. The one in the air-conditioned room has maroon pitchers on every leaf and the pitchers are fully formed. The one at home has green "juvenile" pitchers.

My highland alata and n.tobaicaXthorelli are also prone to scale insects which doesn't affect the lowlands next to them.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img] OH NO!!! I've forgotten to water my neps at work for a week!
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh dear Cindy, that could be trouble [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] Better do so tomorrow...

Hmmm...this is very distressing news. I can't possibly keep the Gentle in an air-conditioned environment all the time...would moving it to an air-conditioned room at night help? I don't think so, as daytime temperatures are still high, but maybe it's worth a shot...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My plants have experienced some very hot temperatures (for the UK) in the day this summer, with no problems (37C outside and a bit warmer than that in my greenhouse), but have experienced a drop to much cooler temperatures at night. Moving to an air con room at night might be better, as long as its humid at night.

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that, Vic, I'll try and do that.

Although I'm not quite sure how to get humidity around the plant up in an air-conditioned space.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    colin,

Take a look here. It shows clearly the differences given the two conditions.

I've brought the plant back to my office and as soon as the "third tier" pitchers open, I'll post the photos.

I received the maximaXventricosa that I passed to my student today and it did extremely well in her hands, I must say. In a couple of months, the pitcher and leaf size quartupled! Now I'm going to ask her where she placed it.

Sigh...as the saying goes...the student shall exceed the teacher... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    Cindy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast