User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Redhill neps available (singaporeans)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry as well, I already have those 2 sp, was looking for an ampullaria. Got a ventrata from uncle last time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opps. Sorry. Has been awfully busy last and this week. Cindy, what time does the Uncle open until? I can try to seek out of campus but if my supervisor finds out, I will become food for the pitchers. I can take both N. raff if no body else wants them.

BTW, anyone knows what bus to take from NUS to the market?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, I would like to apologize to Cindy for asking the uncle to bring in the plants and than finding out that I am too busy to go last Sunday. Cindy, please inform us if you spot any nice plants. I really appreciate your effort and am sorry to let you down.

So, I rushed down today to get the plants before uncle stops bringing in the Neps for us. I reached Redhill market at about 1 pm and thankfully, the uncle has not left yet, but the Nep was already in his van. He has only one Nep. rafflesiana left. He chided me for taking so long to appear and said that he could not keep it for so long as the plants would die. Anyway, the good news is that if the other plants were already sold, it would appear that there are people who are interested in these plants! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

I bought the remaining Nep. rafflesiana for 8 dollars and ask him to remove the pot and soil. This was a good thing. When I reach back, I washed away the remaining soil on the root stock of the plants and was surprised that the plant could survive on such a rich loamy substrate. I was than horrified that there were manure wrapped around the rootstock! I quickly washed the entire plant in water. That was a mistake. Both my hands now smell of manure. Apparently, when the person who was potting up the plant had smeared the whole plant with bits of manure!

I cannot vouch for the rest of the plants that the rest of you bought from uncle. However, I would strongly suggest that if you have bought your plants from uncle, remove the plant from the soil ASAP and check the rootstock. If your plants are dying, the manure could be the reason.

I suggest lining the base of your pot with styrofoam chips (those that you use for packing stuff to send via post) or charcoal bits, and use LFS for the rest of the pot. Meanwhile, my keyboard now smells of manure! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

Well, things we do for our plants...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some books mentioned adding inorganic material like vermiculite, perlite, pumice, sand, and granite chips.
    does anyone know where to get granite chips?
    (i realise that thomson nurseries dont have it, but NUS has quite alot in its workshop, but i dun feel like asking them)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think charcoal would be fine. Easy to buy and not to mention, light in weight. I am surprised that the Thomson nurseries do not have it. They should be available for orchid grower. I used to grow alot of orchids and I use charcoal and broken bricks. Anyway, you can always buy charcoal for BBQ from provision shops. If you really want fancy stuff, some nurseries sell bark chips for potting or orchids.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123