Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sarracenias in the tropics?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of potting mix are the Sarrs grown in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guqin,

The potting mixture appears to be peat moss and perlite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tropics, are your Sarracenias particularly prone to fungus? Well, mine are. For some reason, both my sarracenias, a "stevensi" and a purpurea, have died from an outbreak of fungus (grey mould I think) which did not affect plants very close to them -- VFTs, sundews, non-CP plants, etc.

And what's more, the fungus is immune to Captan, overdosage or not. They just keep coming back!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eBeyonder, I purchased my first Sarr (minor) only 3 months ago, and leucophylla "Tarnok" and "Scarlet Belle" only about a week ago. So there's not much experience there, but no fungus so far. The minor was originally grown in a greehouse in California, and latter 2 were grown outdoors in Hawaii. I now have all of them outdoors. I don't know where your plants are, but I suspect that fewer fungal problems are encountered growing plants outdoors than in terrariums or greenhouses, although one has to deal with other problems outdoors, such as wind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tropics, my plants were in the open as well. The strange thing is that the plants beside the affected Sarracenias have not been so affected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eBeyonder, if nothing else works for your fungus problem, you might try powdered cinnamon, which is a natural fungicide. It doesn't work for all fungi, but it might work for what you have. I haven't actually used it on CPs, but I once used it on a Phalaenopsis (orchid) leaf that had a large area affected by fungus. I mixed cinnamon with cooking oil to make a paste and rubbed it on the area. The fungus was stopped in its tracks. For your situation, I was thinking that you might sprinkle some cinnamon on the growing medium above the roots, then spray it with water so it seeps down. Just an idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plants will not require dormancy as yet because they are tissue culture grown. Eventually I fear they will decline and weaken without a rest. Their growth patterns may also suffer.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe we can give sarrs and VFTs a longer "rest period" at night? blast them with flouresant light for about 10 hours and let it rest for the rest of the day?

also where did you guys get the S. stevensi?

My sarr has been affected with grey mould(i think) before but it recovered. I pulled out all infected pitchers and some not infected to let the crowns have light and air circulation. I also put it in a windy location

So growing a plant from tissue culture makes the plant not tropical?

thx
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

The stock boy replied: \"No ma'am, they're dead\"

Msn/email - wezx1@hotmail.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12