Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Terrarium Set-up Cost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Singaporeans,

I wld like to find out how much u guys spent on a terrarium. (tank + light) I'm looking at the possibility of a terrarium, possibly about 2 ft in length.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. I cannot remember the price of my two tier two foot tanks. Probably less than S$50. No tanks covers, that is why it is rather inexpensive. There are plenty of Luo Han fish shops around, maybe can get a cheap one from them. Lights are from a single unit housing two compact florescent tube set up for planted tanks (tubes 6500K, 36 watts each). I think the price was S$98 for the lights. I have a timer, very old, cannot remember the price, probably less than S$30. Most important is an ultrasonic humidifier from FEF (Thomson) for about S$48.

Lights switched on for 16 hours a day. I got my aluminium foil for free to wrap around the entire tanks to make sure that as much of the lights get bounced back into the tank. Lights has helped to make some of my plants redder.

Due to the long period of time that the lights are on, evaporation is very high. I keep about an inch and a half of RO water at the bottom of the tank to maintain humidity at a decent level. The ultrasonic humidifier also helps to keep temperatures down.

You can figure out how much the whole setup cost. I can't count and that is why I study biology!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for the lighting, do they come pre-wired and all, so all I've to do is to plug it in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ebeyonder: what plants u intend to put inside?
    VFT will not survive well, even if u use PL lights that are high in intensity, i tried it b4,
    its quite well suited to neps, but then again they may outgrow the tank in no time.
    A humidifier is not really needed in the tank since the side walls seem to conceal all the mositure, get a hygrometer instead.
    I'm in the process of building a cooling unit for one of my 4 ft tanks, hopefully if all turns out well, i'll be able to grow those beautiful highland neps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan to put seedlings into the terrarium cos I can't find a place where there is light and shelter from the rain, winds, etc. And perhaps some sundews, like the pygmies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with vistary that the VFT does not need to be in the terrarium. All mine are out in the open.

eBeyonder: The light unit comes pre-wired. Just plug in and let there be light! PM me if you need details of the shop from where I bought the light unit.

My terrarium needs an ultrasonic humidifier because my room gets get dry when the aircon is switched on. In addition, my room is not extremely humid and averages 60-70% even in these northeast monsoon months.

I mainly grow Drosera, Utricularia, raise seedlings and cuttings, and to acclimatize them TC plantlets.

Vistary, could you elaborate more about your cooling plans? Would you be using a peltier cell or an aquarium chiller unit? I have been thinking about buying an aquarium chillers but they are increadibly expensive (almost S$1000&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img].

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, Peltier cell and a pc fan, juz to cool a small area, but as my exams r near, i m putting my plans on the hold,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not from Singapore, but I'm sure you've got the same type of stuff for this. I checked around for sales and such, was able to get two 12" shop light setups for $20USD, growlights $7USD each. Those are put back to back, with the lights facing down. Stick a metal rod through the two screw holes on the sides, hang on terrarium, and voila - suspended lights. Here's a pic:

A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast