What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where in the world?

• Thread starter shizuku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    flytrap
S

shizuku

Where in the Philippines do I get to purchase carnivourous plants, and using cash, at that? I've scoured almost every place I know...the altitudes of Baguio, the depressions of Luzon, the local supermarket, the black market (yeah, right).
sad.gif
I really want a Venus Flytrap...huhuhu.

VFT will be very hard to grow in the Philippines unless you have room in your refrigerator. They require a cold dormancy around 40degrees F. Seeing that Nepenthes are tropical and have native species over there, I would stick with Nepenthes. As for a place to get CP, i'd have no idea since I have only been there when I was 2 years old.

There are 12 Nepenthes species that can find growing wild in the Philippines (N bellii, N mindanaoensis, N philippinensis, N merrilliana, N ventricosa, N truncata, N petiolata, N mirabilis, N deaniana, N burkei, N alata, and N argentii). There are probably some sundews around there somewhere, as well as a few species of bladderworts. You might be able to find some nepenthes plats growing near you (like N alata and N mirabilis), so see if you can get some of those. Some of the other neps will probably be harder to find, so you might want to talk to someone at a botanical garden there to see if they can help you. Venus fly traps will be hard to obtain unless you order them from another country.

Joel

BTW: Before anyone starts to say that I got the wrong plants that grow there, I got my info from this webpage. http://www.schwaben.de/home/schmidt/nepenthes/nepintro.htm So THERE!!
tounge.gif

Quite a lot of companies will ship worldwide if you e-mail them and are prepared to pay for it. Try e-mailing Triffid Park in Australia. I know a few British nurseries will ship. Try sending e-mails to the websites I listed in the where to buy in the UK thread.

If you are looking for Nepenthes and you know somebody from Mindoro, then maybe he can show you where to get one. The only picher plant the we have at home was given to us by my cousins friend who is from Mindoro. Also, have you tried the www.malesiana.tropicals.com.my website. They are located in Borneo so shipment to our country should not be that costly. They are selling a wide variety of Nepenthes including those that are of Philippines origin (funny isnt it?). I am thinking of ordering some this year. Ill let you know if my plan pushes thru. Happy hunting!!!

Hey there, greetings from the Philippines,

Actually I saw once some Venus Flytraps for sale on a annual flower fair (that was in September 2002?) in Los Banos, Laguna. They were very expensive around 9$ (which is a fortune in the Philippines) a piece, the nursery was from Davao(&#33
wink.gif
. Putting them in a tupperware in the fridge for a few months is not a big sacrifice i guess, but i haven't tried it myself yet, but i know that many people in other tropical climates are relatively ok doing that. I don't try yet, I am more excited with Neps.

Nepenthes can indeed be found in surprisingly many nurseries, especially close to mountains where they occur naturally, just don't give up and keep on looking. I found them even in malls and a huge alata at an beach-resort on Boracay island. Hint: Look for hanging coconut-pots with brown, dry pitchers because most people keep them way too dry or sometimes too dark. They are also not always known as pitcher-plants, but also sogod-sogod, mosquito killer, pitchel-pitchel and more, better bring a photo and show it to people...
Make however sure that the plants are not removed from nature, but artificially propagated.
Please feel free to contact me if you are also from the Philippines, i'd like to get contact to some local CP growers and i might have stuff for sale or to trade.

Joel: Spontaneously I see that the huge N. sibuyanensis and N. copelandii is missing on that list, but there might be more.

Back