What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canadian roll call!

• Thread starter seedling
  • Start date
hey were are these nurseries anyway im not far from u so ya please do tell everone

Harper's in Ancaster has Sarracenia in their pond section. There are a few there now. The more southern species seem to be in dormancy, but the purps still have their regular foliage. It is possible that they are dormant too though. I would check in the summer though.

www.niagaraexotics.com is the website for another nearby nursery. Call him ahead of time because it's a backyard operation. He specializes in sarrs, but hes got D. filiformis, VFTs, all that kind of stuff too. Email him though...

Holland Park Garden Gallery (Burlington) has some of those 'novelty' like plants... Kind of like at white rose. It's a big place and you can almost always find a plant to buy, even if it's not a carnivorous one. I've gotten a dying Phalaenopsis for five dollars, it's healthy. It's also where I got my Oncidium x "Sharry Baby", at about $30. So those two orchids along with a Tillandsia pruinosa and my S. purpurea ssp. Venosa...

In ontario Zephyrusorchids.com has a couple neps that they can sell you. They also do mail order when the weather gets better.

I live in calgary. I found one place that has VFTs, but they didn't even know the variety, or even that there were different varieties. I had my heart set on one of the giant strains, these are so tiny. The traps are only about a cm long. I don't know what variety this is, but, in general, do the traps get bigger as the plant matures?

Western Canada you can check this place out they don't have many currently listed on the web site however the owner emailed me that he will be greatly expanding his offering of cp's this year. hawaiianbotanicals

Hi there,

I'm in Quebec, great to see there is others Canadian cpers up here! After 6 years in cp growing, I have seen the Canadian cpers number growing up... Really nice thing to observe!
wink.gif

Tom
http://insectivores.cjb.net

Hello everybody
I'm in Montreal, Quebec. I'm pretty new here, amazed at the wealth of information that is shared!

Welcome to PFT, Treebeard.
smile.gif

I am also from Canada. Trenton Ontario to be exact. I am VERY much a beginner to the cp growing hobby, but I am planning on becoming more experienced and expanding my collection
(which shouldn't be too difficult as it is easy to have more than zero
wink.gif
{my first vft was overcome by fungus during dormancy
sad.gif
})
I just stumbled on this forum as I was searching the web one day, and it seems I've hit upon a gold mine of carnivorous plant information
smile.gif

Hi, I'm in the Toronto area. I've had some VFTs for the last year or so, and lately some Sarracenia from Home Depot which I'm particularly proud of because they were on sale for a dollar per pot (looked dead, now vigorously sprouting pitchers.) They weren't labelled but they look like S. minor.

I am desperate to get some Nepenthes. I can't find them around here. Online, I've had several sources go belly-up on me (no response, or closed down, or no Neps this year, or won't ship to Canada, or etc. etc.) Where? Where can a poor Canadian get the dang things?

Directions to any Nepenthes would be lovely
biggrin.gif
Looking particularly for N. ampullaria but any would do.

Keely,

Up here in Markham you can check Home Depot, Sheridan Gardens, and White Rose. They all have Nepenthes Ventricosa. Sheridan Gardens and Valleyview Gardens (Scarborough) has Nepenthes Tobiaca.

Charles

Thanks!!
smile.gif

Maybe I walk right past them in garden centers because I have no idea where they put them... with the other tropicals, I guess?

I'm from Richmond, B.C. Happy Canada Day to all!
smile.gif

Im from markham ontairo. there arn't much cp nurseries around here exepet sheridan nurseries home depot and white rose. i got all my cp from these stores and i only have a few. if anyone discovers any more stores, please email me.
smile.gif

oh yeah, anyone know the street where Valleyview Gardens is?

Zhongyi,

Valleyview Gardens is located on the West side of Kennedy between Finch and Sheppard Ave. They only have N.Tobaica last time I checked... though they have a very good selection of Jasmine.

rolleyes.gif

Thanks cchang, but do you know their phone number or web site? i need to conferme that they have something in stock before i take a long bus ride.  
smile.gif
thanks. Zongyi

Living in the West Kootneys with 6 flytraps.
smile.gif

Back