What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi cper from singapore

• Thread starter jalan kayu
  • Start date
Wow!!! Another S'porean!!! Welcome to PFT forums, quqin.

Jalan kayu: I'm trying hard not to buy anymore plants because I'm looking for a place to settle down.  Perhaps, when I get my new place, I need your expertise in hanging the neps up.  And by that time, I can also ask for donation of cuttings from you all.
wink.gif
 So far, I'm only able to propagate n.gracilis and n.mirabilis...to give away to my students.

eBeyonder: You can try Far East Flora although the plants can be quite costly.  My n.rafflesiana was from Redhill Market.  I happened to see it and bought it immediately.  The local grower you mentioned must be Hoong Yi.  I bought a few plants from him a few years back.  Since then, I have been buying my plants online.

On the Side: I feel that it's difficult to cultivate temperate CPs here.  I mean for long term...having to put them to sleep in the fridge and so on...my mini fridge has since been taken over by my dad for can drinks.  
sad.gif

Redhill market? Wow... I myst walk ard there more often
smile.gif

Where's Far East Flora? Regarding propogating n.gracilis, cld someone kindly guide me how to do it? My plant looks like it's grown a lot since I bought it, and I think it'd be nice if I cld propogate it and share it with my friends....

Need advice on the soil mix, how to cut, where to cut, what to do with servered part etc etc... thanks!
biggrin.gif

Hi eBeyonder,

Far East Flora (expensive but they seems to have more CP variety) has two shops,  one at 555 Thomson Rd, there are about 6 nurseries (by chance you can find some Nep) around that area, I got 3 Nep (S$ 15 each) from SPA which is next door to FEF
The other FEF is at  Queensway
I also drop by many nurseries around Singapore to check out.

For propagating of Nep go to
http://cascadecarnivorous.plant.org/index2.htm

Thanks jalan kayu...

anyway with regards to the water issue, where do u get distilled water by the gallons (and cheaply) in S'pore? I can only think of bottles distilled water in NTUC or somethg like that. Rain has been quite scarce in my area nowadays so rainwater collection is quite tough.

I now buy distilled water from Cold Storage. Their house brand (First Choice) is selling for 65 cents per bottle (1.5 litres) until 30 June 2003. I think that is a decent price since the next cheapest (No Frills) cost 81 cents (also at Cold Storage). I guess this is a practical option since I only need one bottle per week (very few plants you see: 1 Drosera filliformis, 1 Drosera capensis, 1 Sarrachenia purpurea, 1 VFT, 1 VFT "Red Dragon", 1 Nepenthes albomarginata, 2 Nepenthes gracilis and 1 pathetic Nepenthes rafflesiana).

Don't know how much NTUC selling their distilled water. Cold Storage nearer to my house than NTUC so I do not need to walk back home lugging tonnes of water. I no car.

Hong Yee, from whom I just bought several CPs last saturday, uses an deioniser kit that is for purifying water meant for use in an marine aquarium. Apparently the kit cost about S$70. I will have to check this out.

Other options includes a Reverse Osmosis unit (ca. S$1700 at ACE, Novena Square) or a distiller. There is shop (a brand call Redheart, 65561234) at International Plaza that sells a compact distiller but I have not checked out the price of that unit yet. ( I am not affliated with this company)

Hey guys!

Never knew that there were a couple of other Singaporeans lurking around too!
wow.gif
smile.gif

Yep, I use a dual-bed de-ionser which I bought from a local marine supply store at $70, recharging is at $50. It's Sarracenia flowering season now! Sad to say, my Nepenthes collection is rather dismal .. just several N.rafflesiana, N.gracilis, one single N.ampullaria, N.fusca (just flowered last weekend, it's a female, yay&#33
wink.gif
, N.veitchii and a couple of hybrids.

Cindy - regarding temperate CPs, I have stopped my usual practice of placing them in the fridge for dormancy, after seeing what happened for the last 2 years. Almost all my Sarracenia will go into dormancy on their own, and I just leave them be until they start growing and flowering. The same goes for temperate Drosera - those nifty D.filiformis ssp. filiformis simply form hibernacula on their own.

Oh yes - and there's yet one more Singaporean CPer lurking around here. Cindy, I believe you know cheekin as well? He's usually the Bulbophyllum-Paphiopedilum-Phalaenopsis expert, but grows a few CPs as well. Cheekin, if you're reading this, show yourself!
tounge.gif

Ah, Mr Dragon Goby, welcome to this forum.

I believe we met last saturday?
wink.gif

I started off using bottled distilled water from super market, 6 months ago I bough a compact distiller that produces 4 L of distill water after 7 hours, I also devised a simple tray system to collect rain water from my balcony whenever it rains….. where have all the rains gone?
The compact distiller was priced at S$ 299.00? from whom? It was an ad in the newspaper and deliver to door step….got to find the receipt! Let you know when I find it.

Otherwise you may consider a RO system, I was quote by Pureland International:
CT9000R0  Pureland  7  Stages  Reverse  Osmosis System with  3 gallons  Storage Tank  Stainless Steel  Faucet  (Design, Installation & Commission)  at S$ 890.00 http://www.water.com.sg/RO.htm
But I think it is expensive locally, may have to go by mail order to the US for about USD 250 ~300 + delivery.

I think the distiller purchased by jalan kayu is the Redheart brand that I was talking about previously. Just called them up and the original price was S$399 but now on offer selling for S$299 with free delivery.

Jalan kayu, are you happy with your unit and would you recommend that we consider buying one of this? Also, is it very difficult to manintain the unit?

Hi DragonGoby, welcome to the topic, I was actually waiting for you to come in to this topic, please don't mind me asking one question..... are you THY?

guqin
Yes, the distiller is the Redheart brand, offered selling for S$299 with free delivery, but I managed to (hard) bargain with him to sell me at S$250.

I am happy with the unit, not too difficult to maintain the unit.

But one thing to consider is that, it consumed about 700w, and take about 7 hours (total of 4.7 kWh, how much is kWh now? never bother to check my utility bill) to produce 4 L of distilled water.

Yes, I would recommend that you consider buying one of this if power bill is not a problem.

Hi all,

Found a company in 28 Tuas Ave 8, Chemitreat tel:65592600 that sell deionized water (PH=7, TDS 2ppm) for 26¢/L, minimum qty 25 L, they also sell 25L Jerry can at S$10 each.
But I will stick to my distiller.

Hi Jln Kayu,

Yep, it's me. Pardon me, but who are you?

Hi DragonGoby,

I have sent you a PM

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (guqin @ July 13 2003,1:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ah, Mr Dragon Goby, welcome to this forum.

I believe we met last saturday?
wink.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hi guqin,

Yep, we've met. =) How are the plants doing? OK, I hope? I've just gotten a friend to adopt my peacock, so hopefully I will be able to get proper racks set up asap for my Sarracenia.

Yep, got my supply of distilled water today from Cold Storage at 65 cents per 1.5l bottle. Sh;d be adequate given the size of my collection now
smile.gif

Hi DragonGoby,

Yes, my plants are all still alive although the growing conditions are very different from your place.

Nice to know that you will have more space for more CPs!

BTW, anyone bought any good plants from any online stores?

Please share your experience if you have.
smile.gif

ebeyonder

Redhill Market:
The last time I saw neps was last year...n.rafflesiana.  Very rare nowadays unless you come round for breakfast every morning or else it'll be bought by ME.  
wink.gif

N.gracilis cuttings:
Plonk them in water...tap water or distilled water...leave them somewhere cool with lots of light.  Mine are in my terrarium under florescent lights. Should root in 2-3 weeks' time.  But, I have one particular gracilis that REFUSED to root ever since I had it.

PM me if you want details and pics...I take cuttings almost every other week!

Everyone

Water:
Only tap water. <!!!!> I could almost hear you guys gasp! Don't ask me why but I've not seen any difference even though I watered with with distilled water for a year before.  Bear in mind that I cut back and repot my plants every 6-12 months so using tap water wouldn't affect them much.

Watch the temperate CPs though.  They are more sensitive/fragile already because of the weather difference here, so I used distilled water. No compromise.

As for reverse osmosis...poorly paid me cannot afford.
tounge.gif

THY:
Shall I slime him here and show him never to incur the wrath of a woman?!!  And the only woman PFT S'porean member?! (Actually it's the woman's man who is growling...) Why?  Because I bought a huge pot of sarracenia purpurea from him...then realised that the roots were infested with root mealies!  Never mind about that b'cos he probably didn't know but it spread to the rest of my plants and wipe out my entire collection of temperate CPs...  
mad.gif

DragonGoby
I know cheekin...lost contact with him...probably b'cos I change my email address...and don't tell me you are related to THY...my boyfriend has banned me from buying anything from him...or talk to him...I only know D.G. from PFT...

Hi all,
On the subject of water, I have posted in the June poll. attached below:

Quote (eBeyonder @ June 06 2003,1:27)
I use tap water, cos rain isn't falling as much nowadays here in Singapore.

The quality of the tap water is like so:
http://www.pub.gov.sg/ws_potable_water.htm

Is this good? So far, I've been doing this for 3-4 weeks already, and my plants seem to be doing fine.

Hi eBeyonder,
The tap water in Singapore is slightly alkaline, PH 7~8.
TDS is ranging from 80 ~120ppm
Not so good for CPs, however I do use tap water (stand for 24 hours) for mature Nep for few months, they are still happy, flash it with rain or pure water once a while.
The rest of my Cps are watered with pure water from a distiller.

Hi all Sing CPer,

Good priced S$12~16 (at least cheaper than FEF and .....you know where) Neps available at Orchidville at Lorong Lada Hitam off Mandai Road.....go go go!!

Back