What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi cper from singapore

• Thread starter jalan kayu
  • Start date
Hi all,

I use tap water for my Neps too, so far no problems. However, I avoid using untreated water for other CPs, especially Sarracenia as sometimes the leaves come up weird - twisted or bent.

Anyone's grown N.merrilliana before? I have one small plant that's taking forever to grow - 14 months and still a 6" leafspan!

Cindy: You might want to try poking N.gracilis cuttings straight into CP medium. Some plants, esp. gracilis and rafflesiana, root better that way than immersion in water. BTW, sent you a PM.

Guqin - for Neps, you might want to try Malesiana ... they have a huge variety at rather cheap prices. For large N.veitchii (lowland), you can try asking Alvin, he has several plants that are already forming 4-5" pitchers.

hehe......here i am.
I have been on this forum for quite some time now but i have kept real quite...
nothing much to say...juz an intro of myself...
smile.gif

I have been growing orchids for abt 7 years....i started growing cps only in the recent years. Tried to grow them many times and i have failed, here i am trying to grow them again....i am mainly growing vfts, sacc and drosera now, only a small collection.

The main bulk of my collection is still my bulbophyllums, some dendrobium and paph. I rarely grow hybirds for orchids, mainly sp....
I would not consider myself as an expert in paph, phal,and bulb. But i do have a vast knowledge abt them....

cindy:
have i met you b4, or do i know you( pardon me for this..) ?
yes, i know hong yee.I have known him for quite some time.

To all:
if you all are free, you can drop by Woon leng nursery.....
this is a nursery in sungei tengah.they have recently came in TC plants of nep. rafflesiana. ( 3-4cm in diameter). i think they are selling it for quite a cheap price for these plants.If you all are there, u can also see my CPs and orchid collection.
I grow my plants there at a rented area.Hope to hear from you all !!!

Chee Kin
smile.gif

Cindy - with reference to your messages and others.
I also only use tap water and have never had any problems with any of my plants.
I also have never used any kind of fertilizer on my plants.
I also bought 3 or 4 pots from your 'friend' thy. The first wasn't doing well so I decided to repot it. A huge millipede like beetle bug was happily munching away at what little roots were left!! 2 other pots I bought a few weeks ago have also suddenly died. When I investigated, both had very few roots left. I now have 1 from thy and my original 2 I bought from far east flora.
Sarracenia if not put into a dormant period will eventually become weak and die after a few years. Of course this may be preferable than putting it in the fridge after 1 year, only to also die!
I think I'm going to stick to nepenthes.
Jalan Kayu - some wonderful nepenthes on your balcony.
CP-KID - W
Happy growing everyone, Neil.

hi neil,
sungei tengah is the place where many agrotech farms are found. this place is off choa chu kang, but is somewhere near there. if you need to go there, let me know. I will try to give u directions.

Chee Kin

hi jalan kayu,
u been to woon leng b4 ?

Chee Kin

Wow! Hey guys! I'll be off to shopping this weekend at the places you all mentioned...if you see a girl looking obsessed with wide open eyes, that could be me!
wink.gif

Chee Kin: I don't remember seeing you before...I've only seen two CPers, Hoong Yi and Yee Hong who was 11...funny but I thought I knew the boy as "CPkid" too...but I've emailed you several times before and know you as cheekin...

Chee Kin

Hv not been to woon leng b4, I searched the street and phone book to locate the address after reading your post.

May drop by soon.

hi,
any of you growing any mature ceph ? i am looking for a mature plant.Have any of you all got any new plants recently ?

Chee Kin
tounge.gif

The water that I get in my apartment is filled with rust. Therefore I filter all my drinking water using the Brita filter pots or a stand alone water filter by an English brand called Bacfree. My Nepthes seems to be doing quite okay and grow nicely.

Until I changed the potting mix of one Nep. gracilis pot into coconut fiber. The growth almost stopped. I have been reading some past issues of the Carnivorous Plant Newsletter and read that Peter D'Amato is of the opinion that coconut peat or fibers are not good for carnivorous plants in general as they contain too much salt! This is probably because most coconuts trees are found near the sea. That probably explains why some of my plants are not doing so well.
confused.gif

Cheekin - I dropped by Woon Leng on Saturday but didn't see your plants. Uncle didn't let us wonder around so we kind of peeped here and there...besides, it was way too hot that day..so didn't insist. The orchids were amazing! Probably going down another time. They have n.rafflesiana that are about 20cm across without pitchers. Was told they were recently repotted.

I would like to have a ceph too. Haven't seen it recently in the nurseries.

quqin - coconut fibres also come with fertilisers sometimes...another no-no for neps.

jalan kayu - I saw the neps at Orchardville...they didn't look good except for the ampullaria, which I already have. The TC n.rafflesiana was going for half the price but didn't buy those either...tried my hands at them before...all died.

Far East Flora at Thomson Road selling CPs. I spied Drosera capensis (lots of them), Sarracenia purpurea (don't know what subspecies) and another Sarracenia that is longer and thinner (possibly a hybrid). They also had robust VFT (the common ones, I think).

FEF kept them moist but not on water trays. The plants were all in heavy shade with the other foliage plants like ferns.

I bought a Ping that they had but have no idea what it is.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (guqin @ June 16 2003,9:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Far East Flora at Thomson Road selling CPs. ......  

I bought a Ping that they had but have no idea what it is.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Guqin,
I think, the Ping at FEF is Weser (moranensis*ehlersiae).
Generally FEF does not know how to take care of their CPs.

Cindy,

At Woon Leng, or many others, they put fertilizer to "help plant growth" that helps to explain why n.rafflesiana that are about 20cm across but without pitchers. But if they are cheap I will consider buying and do correction mentioned in the next prara....

Yes, at Orchardville except for the ampullaria the rest are not looking fantastic.
But some of the smaller Ventrata (alata?) can be grown to good looking plant in a matter of months, by repotting with correct mix, sufficient lighting and watering, I got my for S$5 from...forgot where, since I have gone visiting many nurseries in the last few months.

By the way I the got the best ampullaria from the batch (of 12 or so) at S$10 because they were displaying them wrongly among the S$12 for 2 offer plant and offer to the reduced price for 1.

guqin: When the ping flowers, you will be able to tell if it's a Weser or Sethos. I bought mine from FEF as a Weser, only to find out when it flowered that it's a Sethos. It's good to just buy pings from there because most of the time, they arrive in very bad shape through the mail when I ordered on my own. My avatar is a Sethos flower!
smile.gif

jalan kayu: No wonder the plants were pitcherless...then again, I won't have the time to repot them if I buy them...I forgot to ask how much they cost? N.amps are cute, one of my favourites.

Thanks to all that had provided an ID for my ping! The flower is pink and died today before I could get a photograph of it. I don't know whether this is much help for the ID. Looks a bit like Cindy's picture in the username column.

hi,
if you all drop by woon leng this coming sunday afternoon, u would see me around.

Chee Kin

Cheekin: My "chauffeur" is not free that day otherwise I would turn up...that place very far and "ulu"...

By the way, anyone else received the newsletter from Malesiana? Seems there're good buys...

Cindy - with regards to Malesiana tropicals. I normally also buy here for nepenthes but I believe they have a US$100 minimum. I've just received some, cost me US$113 which worked out to be S$197. Unless some of us get together and order???

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (neilsingapore @ June 20 2003,4:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Cindy - with regards to Malesiana tropicals. I normally also buy here for nepenthes but I believe they have a US$100 minimum. I've just received some, cost me US$113 which worked out to be S$197. Unless some of us get together and order???[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Dear Neil & Cindy,

The US$100 minimum order at Malesiana is not strictly enforced, previously they have accepted my ordered for plant & freight with value such USD 76 and even USD16 for plantlets.

happy ordering

Back