What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi all,
As mentioned previously that I was discussing with Island about importing CPs other than Nepenthes, they have agreed!!
biggrin.gif
(The trick was to introduce an Island sales executive to PFT forum  
rolleyes.gif
)
However they would like to bring in only CPs that we will want to buy, if you all allow me to coordinate the initial Singapore want list, I will be most happy to liaise with Island, I promise not to profit individually from doing this. After the initial shipment, I think Island should be comfortable to take order from us individually.

I would start first;

Mexican Pings
moranensis
gigantea
gracilis

Tropical Drosera
cistiflora
madagascariensis
caledonica

Drosera petiolaris
broomensis
dilatato-petiolaris
falconeri
paradoxa

Sarracenia
Any non hybrid

FEF watch out !

Tropical Sundews like Drosera adelae and Drosera schizandra

Pygmy Droseras like Drosera scorpioides

Forked Sundews like Drosera binata

I would be willing to buy one of each plant that they are willing to bring in if there are enough plants for all!

Oh that's fantastic.

I'd like tropical sundews like D. Burmanii, D. multifada, D. intermedia and D. aliciae, among others.

Also any lowland neps that can grow easily in our climate.

I'd also be really grateful if they could bring in CP growing materials like sphagnum moss, sand, perlite etc.

I total agree with colinliew for bringing in lowland neps that can grow easily in our climate and growing material like sphagnum moss, sand, perlite etc.

It's would be great if someone experience like jalan kayu could choose a pot of good nep. so that I can purchase straight from EFE
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
(Not experience need someone to help).

My wish list:

Neps - hybrids are supposed to be suitable for our weather
ampullaria, Cantly's Red
ampullaria, green form
truncata
veitchii, lowland
sumatrana
Xdyeriana
Xmixta
X rokko

Drosera
subtropicals like:
intermedia
spatulata
aliciae
slackii
burmanii

Pings
Any mexican

Cephalotus

Bladderworts
terrestrial ones like:
livida
sandersonii
graminifolia

Jln kayu, thanks for doing this.  
smile.gif

By the way, it seems that d.cistiflora goes dormant during summer.

Wah this is great!

My wish list:

Drosera Aliciae
Pygmy Droseras

Any Mexican Pings

Cephalotus

Venus Flytrap
Royal Red or Akai Ryu

Hi guys,

I've found a nursery in the UK which ships many, many different types of CP seeds, including rare stuff (at least to me) like D.Regia.

I've put the seed list I received from them here.

If anyone wants to buy any, maybe we can all buy together, as a matter of convenience and cut shipping cost.

Happy growing!

ebeyonder - If you can buy the mature plant I wouldn't bother about trying to grow them from seed unless you are doing it for fun. Personally I've never had any luck from growing cp's from seed. Most need to be left for 6 weeks (or longer) in the fridge first, then when they do germinate the fungus move in to have their meal. Maybe you've got greener fingers than me!! I guess you could say that the fungus is also carnivorous!
Jalan Kayu - Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this.
My wish list would include:-
tropical sundew
nepenthes
cephalotus
and possibly pinguicula (although the ones I've bought from FEF never seem to grow well for me).
If the price is reasonable, I'll give most plants a try then decide which ones suit my conditions best.
Thanks again JK.

ebeyonder - If you can buy the mature plant I wouldn't bother about trying to grow them from seed unless you are doing it for fun. Personally I've never had any luck from growing cp's from seed. Most need to be left for 6 weeks (or longer) in the fridge first, then when they do germinate the fungus move in to have their meal. Maybe you've got greener fingers than me!! I guess you could say that the fungus is also carnivorous!
Jalan Kayu - Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this.
My wish list would include:-
tropical sundew
nepenthes
cephalotus
and possibly pinguicula (although the ones I've bought from FEF never seem to grow well for me).
If the price is reasonable, I'll give most plants a try then decide which ones suit my conditions best.
Thanks again JK.
biggrin.gif

Sorry, sidetracking here...

Neil, I had the same problems as you when it came to pings. Not until I tried this:

sethos_plant.jpg

The ping came from FEF in the usual dark brown peat medium.  After a while in my terrarium, it started to turn limp. Was desperate to save the plant as it was a gift from my boyfriend so I placed the ping on top of some live sphagnum (dead ones probably will work too but I've not tried) and left the whole thing on the perlite.

With good sun, this plant has produced 4 flowers for me and is now a clump of 4 plants!

It's up to you if you want to use a nicer container but I chose the plastic food container because it cost nothing and it's transparent...I can see water level as well as the perlite (if it breaks down and needs to be replaced).  

I noticed that it reduced root rot and the ping even had roots sticking out in the air. I don't let the water dry out completely but neither do I add water up to the top of the perlite. This method works well for droseras too.

The ping (probably 'sethos&#39
wink.gif
that I bought from FEF is doing surprisingly well in its original peat substratum. However, I do not put the specimen in full sun but in partial shade and it is not sitting in a tray of water. If I give it alot of water, the excess simply drains out from the drainage hole from the bottom of the pot. It actually had a small plantlet growing but it died sometime ago. Strange how the same type of plant can survive in rather different environments.

I have some success with growing sundews from seeds because the area that I grow my plant is very windy and this ensures a constant air currect day and night. This, I believe, significantly suppressed the growth of fungus. What you can do is to get the small computer fans and put it near the germination pot to increase air movement. You can also buy solar powered fans kits from the internet. Saves you from paying more for electricity and is also presumably environmentally friendly.

Back