What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Singapore's straits time - 17/09/2003

• Thread starter Cindy
  • Start date

Cindy

Staff member
Anyone keen?

yeah! where is it?

Is a RO system cheaper? I rem someone mentioning it's less than $100. Then again i cld be wrong. At the top of shopping list now is a mini bar fridge or a small wine chiller to help my plants get thru dormancy.

RO units are normally more expensive than distillers. If you go to ACE hardware store at Novena Square, they have RO units priced above S$1000!. In addition to that, you would have to replace the particular filter once every three to six months (depending on how dirty your water supply is) and the RO membrance once every one to two year. The replacement membrance is apparently quite expensive (ca. S$200 each).

In the long run, I think the distiller is somewhat more economical, depending on how much the electric company is going to charge us for electricity in the future. The only problem with distillers are that you would have to wait several hours before the entire pot of water is distilled. My distiller is more expensive (ca. S$500) but distills one gallon of water every four hours. I have been happy with it so far, since I only need to distill one gallon of water per week for my CPs and myself!

What are water deionisers? I rem hearing it from someone... perhaps that's the one that costs below $100
wink.gif

If I remember corectly deionizers use resins to remove salts from the water,but I may be misstaken.

Yes, deionisers are defintely cheaper and are mainly used by marine aquarist to remove ions (mainly metallic and carbonate ones?) from tap water.

hey my mum is looking to buy a something to purify the water so that we dont need to boil water.
anyone know any good cheap distiler which will make the water fine for cps also

so would the deionser remove stuff harmful to CPs?

Hi
From a previous thread=
"DragonGoby aka "THY" uses a a dual-bed de-ionser which he bought from a local marine supply store at $70, recharging is at $50"
So I guess it should be OK for CPs

So sorry, I forgot to mention that it was on the classified ads.

Yes, it is the Red Heart brand that we have discussed previously.

Back