User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bought a VFT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am from Singapore. Just bought a VFT today.

All my ealier CPs died and they are really costly. Would like to find out the step-by-step procedures to care for the VFT.

What to do next? Now puttin the VFT on the study table in my room with the air-con on at 25 deg celsius. The air-con only "on" at nite. Hv to switch off in morning (due to costly electric bill).

Please help. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum.

Basically VFT likes clean water (distill or rain), high humidity and wet soil mix and lots of sunlight or bright light.

There is a thread in this forum that provides a comprehensive care sheet on VFT, goes here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi SBC,

Welcome to the forum! It's great to have another S'porean here! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Unless your VFT is next to a window in your study room which receives lots of light, I'm afraid that your current set-up is unlikely to provide sufficient light for the VFT. You need to shift it to somewhere that receives lots of light for the VFT to grow well.

Then, u need to water the VFT using the "water-tray" method, which essentially involves placing the pot containing the VFT in a tray of water. An impt note about the water: it must not be tap water or mineral water . It can only be distilled, RO or rain-water. Boiled water doesn't work as well (though there have been users who get away with that, though it's generally not recommended).

Where did u get the VFT from? If u got it from Far east Flora, it should be potted in pure peat in a fairly small pot. That's fine -- but the recommendation is for VFTs to be potted in a mixture of 1:1 peat and sand, so as to provide for better drainage. As the plant grows bigger, u could consider repotting it in a bigger pot.

The main problem with the VFT (and other temperate CPs) is their requirement of a dormancy. I have zero experience with this, so I'll leave it to others who have to voice their views. But the general agreement is that VFTs need a dormancy to survive long-term, and the only way to do that here seems to be to put the plant in the fridge for a few mths at the appropriate time.

Any other concerns can be answered here:
    http://www.**********.com/care.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for the advice. For the moment, I am quite relief that the VFT is surviving and doing well in my room.