What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sri lanka !?!?

Hi,

seems that I will get a job in Sri lanka (next to the Indian sea :) ) from march till July 2003.

So I would highly appreciate some tipps about the country, native carnivorous plants and so on...
If there are any cp growers I would be very interested to watch their collections. Should be very differnt groeing methods compared to the cold Germany.

Martin

WOW! I know where your going to be spending your days when not working!

Borneo Exotics (Pvt) Ltd.:
Rob Cantley
262 B/5 Millagahawatta
Hokandara Road
Thalawathugoda
Sri Lanka

I think you got a roomy coming your way Rob LOL
Tony

PS.. any room in your luggage for a stowaway Martin?

Martin,
just to be noisey what kind of job did you get

ok, "job" is propably a bit to much...

It's the second practical semester(?) which I have to do during my study. I'm studiing environmental engeniering and I will do some work at trying some substitudes for peat (for comercial gardening and houseplants, especially interesting for cps, where you need lots of peat)
I also want to work on a project for ecological tourism and want to plan, make and try an intersting path / tour where tourists can get some information about Sri Lanka's flora and fauna and ecological resources.

I don't know excatly what I will have to do and it still is not 100% sure if I get the job but it looks quite good at the moment.

Martin

Congrats Martin! Hope you like hot steamy climates!!!
wow.gif

hehe

N distillatoria is native to Sri Lanka, but that's basically all that I know.

I'm sure you'll have plenty of fun there.
wink.gif

Hi
Just moving this to the Foreign CP Resource Forum.
smile.gif

Hello Martin,

How interesting.  I wonder who would you be working for whilst you are here?  A private nursery or a Government agency such as the Coconut Research Institute?  Anyway, I hope you make it over and I would be happy for you to visit us if you wish.  We have some Nepenthes and a few Heliamphora in the nurseries.  In habitat you can find Nepenthes distillatoria and several Utricularia spp.  There is at least one Drosera too.

We use coco-peat as a peat substitute all the time for Nepenthes and Heliamphora.

If you open your suitcase after you arrive and Tony Paroubek jumps out, I wouldn't be at all surprised!  
tounge.gif

If you come, I hope you enjoy Sri Lanka!

Rob

Rob,

What is the Drosera? D. spatulata?

Regards,

Joe

I got an message from a German friend and he gave me a list of the following plants which should grow there :

N. distillatoria

D. burmanni, indica & peltata

U.aurea, australis, stellaris, gibba, reticulata, scandens, polygaloides, graminifolia, bifida, minutissima, hirta, uliginosa, caerulea, striatula & moniliformis (endemic, tuberous!)

-------

Rob,

"... A private nursery or a Government agency such as the Coconut Research Institute?..."
It's aprivat nursery, I forgot the name of the village nearby for the moment :-(

"...Anyway, I hope you make it over and I would be happy for you to visit us if you wish..."

If I wish ? What a question ! :) Of course I do !

"...We have some Nepenthes and a few Heliamphora in the nurseries..." yes, "some" is a very unspecific word *g* How many people are there in the world who grow more Nepenthes than you ?

Martin

Hey Rob,

Could you please tell us more about the Drosera there? Also, what other Drosera have you come across in your travels? I would be very interested in obtaining seed of anything you find as long as there's a location attached. Please email me at sundew@hotmail.com if this is possible.

Thanks,
Matt

Sorry for the slow reply to the question asked earlier, I've been away for a few days.

No, I have not yet seen any Drosera here. D. burmanii used to be common in Hong Kong where I used to live and I'm not surprised to hear it grows here too. I propbably haven't been to the right places. Sri Lanka has a remarkably diverse range of terrains for such a small island. Perhaps Martin will get to see more of it when he gets here than I do!

I'll look out for the Utrics and as I see them I'll photograph them and post the photos so you utric experts can identify them.

Back