What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heatwave!

Too late.... the white stuff at the base of the Ping spread today and the plant simply fell apart. I got some leaves without the white stuff but their bases are brownish and somewhat slimy. I've put these on chopped LFS, hopefully they'll grow, tho I'm not hopeful.

I seriously think it's the heavy rains which caused the Ping to die. It was in a very deep bowl and when I found it in its semi-decomposed form yesterday, the bowl was almost full, just mere millimetres away from the top of the pot.

Sorry to hear about the demise of the Ping. Lets hope that the leaves will have more plantlets later. Perhaps you can cut off the brown rotting stuff to prevent it from spreading to the healthy parts of the leaf. I think all of us must be very careful about fungus growth these few days as it has been raining very heavily in Singapore.

Fungus growth on my sundews wouldn't bother me greatly, since they're dying anyway, but I'd go berserk if I lost my neps.

Any precautionary measures I can take? If fungus strikes the neps, what can I do about it?

Yes, fungal attacks are very devastating! I lost my Ping in a little over 2 days, assuming that the heavy storms on Sun morning did the damage and set the fungus in motion.

Are Neps as susceptible to fungus? I've some in the shade, with relatively poorer air circulation. I've a N.ampullaria which I'm particularly worried abt. The LFS in its pot has turned slimy-green, and many of its pitchers are browning. There ARE some growth points but I'm not sure if they're actually growing anymore. The prob is that the pitchers have clumped together and so I'd imagine that the environment underneath this clump of pitchers would be particularly attractive to fungus and whatever CP eaters there are.

What are the signs I should look out for? Except of cos for the leaves falling apart by themselves, like my Ping.
confused.gif

By using fungicides as a preventive measure (as opposed to killing fungus already present), would this harm the plant itself?

And another way of preventing loss of plants? Propagate them as much as u can! I've about 8 sprouted leaf cuttings of my D.intermedia, so that's one plant I don't have to worry excessively about losing. My VFTs have some cuttings as well, but the traps have since rotted away and yet there's no new growth.

Speaking of which, my D.intermedia is flowering like crazy (5 flower stalks in various stages of formation, and I suspect about 3 more -- if those curly stalks emerging at the base turn out to bear flowers as well), so if anyone from S'pore would like some seeds, I'd be happy to send u some if there are any extra (and there should be&#33
wink.gif
. Just PM me your address and I'll take care of it. IF... IF the heavy rains don't wreck the flowering intentions of the sundew and kill it or somethg like that.

I use Captan at half strength and have not noticed any peculiar problems with my CPs yet.

All right, I've repotted the capensis into new soil and new pots. I split up the individual plants into 2s and 3s cos their roots were all entangled. Will update if the plants improve
biggrin.gif

The area(S.Africa) where capensis grows expriences cool night temperatures. Maybe that is why they are not growing well.

I think CP2k is right. Maybe it is simply too hot here at night in SG.

So that means the d.aliciae won't grow very well here as well?

Ok... I've now placed my capensis in my room under a small study lamp. I turn on the air-con at night (and sometimes in the day too). I hope this gives the plant every chance of survival, esp since it is putting out flowers.

Has anyone already tried this -- putting it in an air con room? I'll monitor the progress and post updates.

One of my dead D. capensis is sending out some new green leaves. Hopefully that means it has developed "immunity".

Let us hope that you would have one super plant that can survive the rigours of a hot tropical climate. Of course, the weather has been rather cool lately. Last night's weather was quite bad. Large tree fell outside my apartment near KK Hospital. Buses had to be diverted. Thank goodness that my plants that are outside did not get blown away. What a night!

I have some D. aliciae seedlings. However, they are all extremely small now. Will keep you all informed with regards to their success or failure.

Update: After close to one week having air-conditioned nights (and generally lower temps), my capensis' dew has come back on some of the leaves. Some newly-formed/forming leaves have blackened at their tips though.It's still a mixed result.

It's producing 3 flower stalks though. If I get seeds from them, then I can conclude that this new growing environment is working. After all, I never got seeds b4.

Will update again in a week.

Back