What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heatwave!

Cindy, the auntie is infront the carpark,there are about 3 plant shops there,just ask the two aunties thereboth of them have neps

Oh gosh. I had no idea Singapore's RH was that volatile. Time to bring out a spray gun and mist continuously.

Have to do something about those sundews too. Never thought I'd see the day that I felt Singapore's humidity was too low.

It all depends on where you live. If you have a nice garden on a landed property, you would probably get high humidity due to your lawn, your plants, your pond etc. For people like me who live in a highrise apartment, low humidity is the norm. My cacti and Lithops (Living stones) do very well.

SPA (next to FEF Thomson) is now selling some very nice Lithops and some related genera for S$10 for three pots. They look exactly like small pebbles and are flowering now! Best thing is, you only need to water once a month or two, and only need to mist them!

Yes, I got the lithops... very nice. So I don't have to water them but only need to mist them every 2 mths?

Leaves on my capensis are suddenly dying very quickly. Where do u all put ur capensis? Do u put the pot in a tray of water? I think I'm going to take some leaf cuttings before the whole plant dies. The last few flowers on the flower stalk have died without blooming, so I'm hoping that the flower stalk is all right, and that the seed pods will ripen and give me seeds.

My capensis is totally gone. I managed to save the root stock and it is in a plastic container were I grow spaghnum moss. No signs of growth yet. Perhaps have to get a new plant soon.

All my capensis pots sit in water trays. I think mine are deteriorating too but I'm not sure. I've taken guqin's advice and placed two plastic containers over two of my pots, leaving another two uncovered for comparison.

guqin, how often do you uncover them to let fresh air in and ensure mould doesn't form?

I've got my first flower stalk that hasn't died prematurely, so I'm hopeful.

Also, what are those thin green spikes that the capensis sends up, three or four at a time? They're obviously not flower stalks, so what are they?

I let fresh air in only when I have time or observe fungus growing! I leave the house at 6:25 AM to go to school and do not come home until about 7 PM. So, I only let the plants get fresh air on an irregular basis. But, I inspect the plants every night to make sure no fungus are growing.

Sorry, not much of help to you I am afraid.

However, the fungicide sold as Captan works very well for me.

Weather is now quite rainy and the humidity at my apartment is about 80%. No need for the plastic container, I think, for these few days if it continues to rain.

I'll try and uncover them every two days or so.

Yes, it has been raining quite a bit. Quite pleased about that. Although it hasn't been long enough for me to collect as much water as I'd like.

Colin, if u're referring to the same thing as those with my capensis, I believe that those green spikes are weeds. They come up in my Sarr pot as well, so the reasonable explantion ought to be that they are weeds.

Oh, that never really occurred to me
smile.gif

They only seem to appear in my sundew pots, even though I used sphagnum moss for all my CPs, so I thought it had something to do with my sundews.

hey the tips of the older leaves of my D. capinesis are turning black....it this normal?

Quite normal, this is what our entire discussion's been on
smile.gif

Today I looked beneath the leaves of the capensis and found white fluffy stuff on the moss and dead leaves which were buried underneath the new emerging leaves. My other Sarr also suffers from the same problem. I don't think the problem came from FEF, though the state in which the plants arrived could have contributed to the problem -- many dead leaves/pitchers, overgrown plants (which in some respects, is a good thing
biggrin.gif
) in relatively small pots.

I'd suggest that you look underneath the current growth and check if they're any white fluffy stuff or pests. I even spotted a snail! And pluck out those dead leaves... I think they will also cause pests to infest to the plants.

Thanks...I don't think I have that problem, I repot my plants to avoid it...

I think our main problems are not enough humidity and not enough sunlight. I'm going to test this hypothesis by exposing one of my sundews to full sun tomorrow...

Wish me luck
smile.gif

The white stuff could either be fungus or mealy bugs, both of which would spell trouble for the plants. Get your fungicide and insecticide out!

Is there a combined fundicide-pesticide around? the white cld either be fungus or bugs and I'm sure which
smile.gif

Well my vft is going red
smile.gif
and my D. Aliciaes are dewier(is that a word?) than EVER!!!
biggrin.gif
  But sadly
sad.gif
my sarracenia are wilting.......

I decided to get somethg done about my capensis:

1. I've shifted my capensis to a sunnier location
2. I got rid of most of the dead growth
3. I sprayed it with fungicide and pesticide

And it's already getting better!

There are about 3 new growth points which produce smaller, paler leaves but these have lots of dew. 2 of these points have also sent up flower stalks.

The flower stalks I've seen on the plant in its unhealthy state before, so it's not a fair indication of its well-bring. But lots of dew on its leaves is new. I'm hopeful that it's recovering.  
smile.gif

But I can't say the same for my P x weser! The crown (or centre, whatever it's called) is brown/yellowish and the leaves peel out very easily. In fact, some have detached themselves already. The detached leaves have brownish centres, so I suspect the crown or roots of the plant is rotting away, no thanks to the heavy storms these few days.
mad.gif

Any suggestions?
On that note, does anyone know if FEF carries anymore Pings?

Great for you ebeyonder! Hope that the D. capensis will do well.

Strange about the P. x weser. I have not encountered problems with it yet, and there are two growths points now. Cindy had successfully rescued her plants before. Perhaps you could search for her tread on this topic. Or ask her directly!

Back