What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes spathulata

Hi,
Need to ask some questions again:

Ebeyonder: how is your N lowii getting along?
the rest: has anyone tried growing N spathulata? Can it survive?

If these 2 plants r ok to grow in S'pore, i'll intend to get them.

One leaf of my lowwi has turned completely black and the plant doesn't look like it's grown for more than a week. I don't hink they do well at all here, despite my earlier optimism.

Vistary, N. spathulata and N. lowii cannot be grown in Singapore, as they are both highland species.

yup, i know they r highland sp.
but some ppl r able to grow them, juz like ventricosa
wink.gif

I think N. ventricosa is probably a more adaptable highlander unlike N. lowii. It would probably be unwise to try most of the highlanders in SG unless you have a very cool growth chamber.

The problem is that ventricosa is more akin to an intermediate, so it can adapt to lowland conditions easily.

N. spathulata is a true highlander, and N. lowii is an ultra-highlander, so not at all a good idea.

Would n.lowii do well here summer days 80-90 nights 60-70? And winter temps (on my windowsill) of 40 degrees?

Pond Boy,
They might, though 40 sounds a bit low. Lowii can stand a month or two of having not-so-cool nights, but it really likes cool nights (50's). I would recommend that you get your feet wet with some more forgiving highlanders to first, then graduate to lowii. They also require (so I have read) high humidity, and aren't that forgiving where that is concerned.
That's my strategy. I sowed lowii seeds about 3 weeks ago, and it will be my first attempt at growing it.

Back