What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two things for S'poreans to consider...

Cindy

Staff member
1. Carrefour carries sarracenia purpurea (or its hybrid?) at $12.

2. Expensive (~ $60 for the smallest unit) but helpful aquarium fan to lower the temperature by 3-4 deg.C (water that is, but I suspect it will go lower for air) - by Qianhu Aquarium

Hi Singaporeans,
I bought an aquarium fan from an aquarium shop for $40, a few weeks back. It is about 11.5cm x 11.5 cm, and has a 2 plug that can be connected directly to the main.
However since I have shifted most of my plants outdoors(with only the younger nepenthes in my terrarium), I no longer require it.
It will be good for those who want to grow their plants in terrariums since air circulation is vital to prevent growth of fungus.
Anyone interested, do pm me.

what does an aquarium fan do? does it cool up the place like mist makers do?
arent mist makers better? it cools up the place and adds humidity? also do mist makers add air circulation? sorry about the qns as now im looking to improve humidity or air circulation

these are my plans:

plan 1) buy a tank cover($18) to seal the tank for humidity(and maybe to let less heat in the terrarium), put a tray of water on 1 part of the tank for evaporation and mist plants inside once in a while, put a "fan" to increase air circulation to prevent fungus, etc.
problem: i think the terrarium will be too hot because of the lights but maybe the heat will be less if i add the tank cover

OR

plan 2)buy a mist maker which cools and adds humidity
problem: no air circulation

which plan is better? both will cost about the same price. Im also quite afraid of fungal/mold/etc attacks so plan 1 might be better.

thanks alot!!

Since u r growing your plants in a terrarium, the humidity levels will be high enough(unless you place your tank in an air-con room).
A humidifier will be too large to be fitted into your terrarium.
I'm rather confuse on how you are going to cover the tank when you already have the fluorescent lights resting on the top edge of your tank.
Actually, my advice is this: since you want humidity and air circulation, you can always place a water tray in front of the fan, just like what malesiana is doing.
mt1.jpg

You may also refer to http://www.jurassic-gardens.com/cultair.htm
for the importance of air circulation.

vistary, I PMed you. But where did you buy the fan? In case I need another when I expand my collection... ;)

vistary: the mister i found in an aqurium shop is very small, it is circular and about 5cm in diameter. the aunty told me to put it on a tray of water and it will start making mist.
also, the light is not sitting right on the terrarium, heres some pics of it:

cp%20002.jpg

there is a small peice a glass at each ends of the tank

front view:
cp%20001.jpg

top view:
cp%20003.jpg

also where do i buy a timer and how much? is it easy to install?
thx

opps sorry bout the big pics...
i put the unhealthy plants in my terrium

Cindy: I already pm u the price.
wezx:I already pm u the details, you can do a DIY mister by pumping air through an air stone which is rested on a saucer filled with water.

wezx, that is a very nice looking terrarium. Looks very similar to mine what with the identical light source and aluminium foil all around the tank!
biggrin.gif

thx guqin and thanks for all the information.
also did you buy a cover?

how much is a timer?

I do not have a cover for my terrarium. That is why I have to top up water every other day.

hey are aquarium fans notmal fans but waterproof/ set for aquariums? if so why can't we use those normal small clip on fans?
or do they have other functions?

I have an aquarium fan, but am not using it at the moment. They appear to be computer fans placed in a decent black plastic setup. They come with screws so that one can place them nicely on the edges of a tank. So far, I have been lucky and have no fungus problems.

i bought a mister from FEF,
it is quite small but produces alot of mist in a short time, that means that it uses up water fast. i onlu have about 300ml worth of space so the water gets used up in only about one hour. Also there are 2 teirs in my tank, i put the mister on the bottom one and it dosen't seem to go up. I tried directing the mist to the upper level with a plastic bottle but it failed.
any1 can solve my probs?
also when should i turn my mister on? at night?

aquarium fans or PC fans when compared to normal clip on fans, are more compact, delivers more intense flow, and heats up less quickly.
Just make sure that if u r using those clip on fans, don't position it near the lamps or u will end up blowing hot air to the plants.
the best arrangement will involve cutting 2 section off one of your side walls, one to place the compact fan and the other to allow the intake of air.

wezx: juz curious, how muc does the mister cost? which FEF u went to?

thx for the advice
i went to FEF rideout park in queensway,i bought the cheapest one that is made for low ponds. the price was $48 but i got for $43.20, 10% discount for student

thx for the advice
i went to FEF rideout park in queensway,i bought the cheapest one that is made for low ponds. the price was $48 but i got for $43.20, 10% discount for student

Back