User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two things for S'poreans to consider...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Carrefour carries sarracenia purpurea (or its hybrid?) at $12.

2. Expensive (~ $60 for the smallest unit) but helpful aquarium fan to lower the temperature by 3-4 deg.C (water that is, but I suspect it will go lower for air) - by Qianhu Aquarium
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Singaporeans,
    I bought an aquarium fan from an aquarium shop for $40, a few weeks back. It is about 11.5cm x 11.5 cm, and has a 2 plug that can be connected directly to the main.
    However since I have shifted most of my plants outdoors(with only the younger nepenthes in my terrarium), I no longer require it.
    It will be good for those who want to grow their plants in terrariums since air circulation is vital to prevent growth of fungus.
    Anyone interested, do pm me.

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what does an aquarium fan do? does it cool up the place like mist makers do?
    arent mist makers better? it cools up the place and adds humidity? also do mist makers add air circulation? sorry about the qns as now im looking to improve humidity or air circulation

these are my plans:

plan 1) buy a tank cover($18) to seal the tank for humidity(and maybe to let less heat in the terrarium), put a tray of water on 1 part of the tank for evaporation and mist plants inside once in a while, put a "fan" to increase air circulation to prevent fungus, etc.
    problem: i think the terrarium will be too hot because of the lights but maybe the heat will be less if i add the tank cover

OR

plan 2)buy a mist maker which cools and adds humidity
    problem: no air circulation

which plan is better? both will cost about the same price. Im also quite afraid of fungal/mold/etc attacks so plan 1 might be better.

thanks alot!!
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

The stock boy replied: \"No ma'am, they're dead\"

Msn/email - wezx1@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since u r growing your plants in a terrarium, the humidity levels will be high enough(unless you place your tank in an air-con room).
    A humidifier will be too large to be fitted into your terrarium.
    I'm rather confuse on how you are going to cover the tank when you already have the fluorescent lights resting on the top edge of your tank.
    Actually, my advice is this: since you want humidity and air circulation, you can always place a water tray in front of the fan, just like what malesiana is doing.

You may also refer to http://www.jurassic-gardens.com/cultair.htm
    for the importance of air circulation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vistary, I PMed you. But where did you buy the fan? In case I need another when I expand my collection...
    Cindy

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vistary: the mister i found in an aqurium shop is very small, it is circular and about 5cm in diameter. the aunty told me to put it on a tray of water and it will start making mist.
    also, the light is not sitting right on the terrarium, heres some pics of it:

[img]http://home.**********.com/wild_wezx/images/cp%20002.jpg[/img]
    there is a small peice a glass at each ends of the tank

front view:
    [img]http://home.**********.com/wild_wezx/images/cp%20001.jpg[/img]

top view:
    [img]http://home.**********.com/wild_wezx/images/cp%20003.jpg[/img]

also where do i buy a timer and how much? is it easy to install?
    thx
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    opps sorry bout the big pics...
    i put the unhealthy plants in my terrium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cindy: I already pm u the price.
    wezx:I already pm u the details, you can do a DIY mister by pumping air through an air stone which is rested on a saucer filled with water.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast