What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PL lights found! 55w

hey i found some cheap and light PL lights, decription:
PL light electronic Ballast, 55w, different colours of light avaliable, blue, pink or white and you can mix,
the uncle said that this is for rearing fish and showed me a normal flouresant light(3 tube) set up and said that that was for plants. The description looks the same as the lights that i have now. Anyone know if this is ok? also whats good about blue/pink light?

Actinic Blue are meant for coral reef aquariums.
The most suitable type is Daylight (6500K).

Hey werzx, where did u find the lights?

its at an aquarium shop opposite thompson medical center, rainbow aquarium.
i think it was about 25 or 35 $
i don't think its suitable so maybe you can change the bulb inside to the normal 36W from nature aquarium (beside rainbow aquarium)
its very small and light

I need more light for my terrarium. Did anyone see a 2 1/2 foot light fixtures with three compacts at Rainbow or Nature?

why 2 1/2 ft?
i saw a 3 tube set up for $35 but the bulbs are only 15W and it is huge

I would like to use a 2 1/2 foot tubes so that every part of the tank can get light. If you look at your lights, you would notice that the extreme left and right sides of the setup is just metal and does not give out light. This means that plants at the edges and sides of the tank do not get as much light as those in the middle.

the one i saw(55w) has a very long bulb.
Guqin: how does the mist rise from the bottom when all the plant pots/trays are blocking it? also the mist dosen't really rise up right?

So it's $35 for the ballast AND the light tubes? Isn't that a very good deal?

yah thats why i have a bit of doubt. Also i don't know if its really 55W or ballast, it can't be so cheap

I'm heading down there to check it out!

wezx, the mist do not rise up all the way to the top of the tank. The layer of mist above the water surface appears to be sufficient moisture for the CPs.

ebeyonder: So did you go and take a look? Did the ucle say anything? any other info?
thx

Back