What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P.sethos from FEF Singapore

• Thread starter Cindy
  • Start date

Cindy

Staff member
I remember someone wanting the plant...

Here's mine.
smile.gif

sethos_dec20033rs.jpg

sethos_dec2003rs.jpg

I'm so envious
smile.gif

That's a great looking Ping! I took some leaf cuttings before my sethos rotted away. Now only 3 survive, but at least they are growing
biggrin.gif

They're the size of 2 of "D"s.

I separated my Ping sethos into two and took some leaf cuttings. However, most of the leaf cuttings have died.
sad.gif

P sethos is the same as P weser? the one from FEF
Haven't seen them bring in any pings. It seems that the perlite media is ideal but didnt manage to get any new pings to try it out.

Nice Pings anyway.

vistary, p.sethos and p.weser are both hybrids of the same parentage. They can be differentiated by their flowers.

FEF p.weser is actually p.sethos. I found out only when my plant flowered and I proudly showed its photo as p.weser.
tounge.gif

Hello, I tried searching for the post with details on the medium used for the Ping but couldn't locate it. Cindy, would you pls tell me your "secret formula" which you've used to grow your Pings to great success?
smile.gif
I still have one little Ping left and thought I would try repotting it. It looks half dead though.
smile_h_32.gif

is that 100% Perlite media with Sphagnum you are using? I guess your container, then, has no drainage right?

Hi,

It is pure perlite and live sphagnum. No drainage. I use distilled water but still have to change the perlite every 4-6 months. It breaks down over time and algae grows too.

P9101170r.jpg

That's a pretty old photo. Since then, they have multiplied and I have smaller plants. The hot and humid weather we are getting recently is not doing them any good. I've got two that rotted away, even with such a system. Try to keep them cooler and drier, especially at night.

Thanks Cindy for sharing... are the roots of the Ping in the live sphagnum, which in turn are in perlite? Or a mix? From the pic it looks like the sphagnum is put into a hole in the perlite with the plant on top. How about the lighting? Shade or full sunlight? The water level... just enough so that everything is moist or can you actually make out the water level in the container? Thanks!

Anyway, if you have any spare Pings in the future to trade, I would be very interested
smile.gif
I have some interesting sundews to trade as well as Byblis seeds!

I used to grow them on the windowsill, facing east. The leaves are green to light pink. I would consider that to be in shade because the light comes through the glass.

Now I grow them at my balcony. It faces North-West and is bright the whole day. No direct sunlight until evening, where the sun shines in at an angle. I have a shade cloth to protect them from getting burnt.

They look better with more light! Like this:

separated_sethos2.jpg

Oh yes, back to your questions...the roots are very short and they are protected by the older dead leaves. Usually I would dig a shallow hole, place live sphagnum in it and place the ping on top. As the plant grows, it kind of "grows out" of the hole like what you see above.

The picture on the left also shows the growth of algae in the container. They are easy to repot, or re-container
smile.gif
I should say. Lift the whole plant up and plonk onto the perlite in a new container!

Ahh, water. I water them by gut feel. I am used to how much each container weigh when I lift them up. That's my gauge for watering. But with a clear container like that, you can actually see the water. Fill it up to about 1 cm away from the surface of the perlite column and let the water level go down to about zero before topping up again. At about 2 inches across (like above), they can take even a day short of watering. The older leaves and live sphagnum keep the moisture in around the roots. Sometimes I do neglect them.
smile_n_32.gif
Trust me, pings do better drier. All my pings died of rot. Not one died of getting fried or dried!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Ah your Pings look excellent, thanks for the tips!
biggrin.gif

Hi cindy:
I see a X on the leaf.
Could you tell me what is this or what's use.
thanks

It is dried bloodworms...for the pings to eat. Would love to trade some pings with you Cindy!

I just saw a monster of a ping some 6" in diameter at the Beverton Market here in Portland - too bad can't buy it as the it will be dead by the time I get back to singapore.
confused.gif

Jason

Hi sam, they are dried bloodworms like what Jason mentioned. Instead of dropping the bloodworms all over the leaves and make a mess, I thought of decorating the leaves instead.
smile.gif

Back