User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which dried LFS to grow live LFS from?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried the one from FEF. It's not the NZ one but an unlabelled pack selling at $2 each. No result. The only green stuff which grew was algae.

Has anyone managed to grow live LFS from any dried LFS bought in Singapore?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this technique does not work for the LFS sold in Singapore. I have tried three brands and all did not produce live sphagnum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I grew a half kilogram bucket full, turned totally green in about two weeks
    I bought mine during the Orchid festival at the botanical gardens about a month ago. Where did you buy yours, and how much sphagnum moss did the packet contain? (isn't $2 quite cheap for sphagnum moss?)
    Jason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, how do you differeniate algae growing on the live sphagnum moss from actual growing (green) sphagnum moss, because mine has small hair like plants growing out of the sphagnum moss (is that live spahgnum moss?)
    Jason

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the NZ one from FEF works great for me. It turns live with almost any kind of light, sunlight/ PL light/etc
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

The stock boy replied: \"No ma'am, they're dead\"

Msn/email - wezx1@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my life sphagnum:

[img]http://home.**********.com/guqin/sphagnum.JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, the NZ one works fine for me too.
    maybe you need the right lighting, try to use pure water when watering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies.

The $2 pack I got is about half the volume of the $4-something NZ pack from FEF, so I guess it all works out. After all, it is FEF selling the moss [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

I think this has been mentioned before, but I'd just like to check the conditions of the successful growers again:

1. Do u shred the LFS or just put everything as they are?

2. How much light? Full sun or partial shade? I think this is the problem for me -- getting the right amount of light.

3. As Jason asked, how do u differentiate between newly-growing live LFS and algae? Will the brown dried LFS just turn green on the surface (like guqin's pic) or will small growing tips appear? I have some small hair like plants on some of my LFS, but I've been advised on the CPUK forum that that's just some kind of weed.

4. Finally, do u just put the dried LFS in a pot with a cover, or without a cover? On peat or without medium?

I'm trying to grow the moss as a backup to the live ones I currently have, in case they die. And a pot of them did -- their tips turned white and the whole thing looked like frost covered moss. Luckily, they're turning green now with much more watering.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast