What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water distillers - Redheart or Midori

Cindy

Staff member
Hi,

For those of you like me who's tired of carrying bottles of distilled water from the supermarket...I mean, how many bottles can a lady carry, right?  
wink.gif
Besides, I feel guilty with the number of plastic bottles accumulating in my CP room.

I checked out these 2 brands and here's some info.

Redheart
$349
16 litres per day
580W
3.5kg
auto-off
1-yr warranty
Polycarbonate collection bottle
More details

Midori
$348
22.8 litres per day
800W
5.6kg
auto-off
(no mention of warranty)
(no mention of collection bottle)
More details

Anyone else interested? I"ll see if we can get a better price with more purchases?  
cool.gif

Hi,
The model from Redheart is a Megahome, came with 6 packet charcoal sachets and a bottle of residue cleaner. I have had mine since 29/10/02, few weeks after I purchased my first VFT  (still surviving).
The Megahome take 5~6 hours to produce 4 liter of distill water (power cost S$0.13 per liter), but can be much faster if fill up with preheated water, my unit is still working fine.

From the calculation the power consumption per unit production is about the same.

I guess both models can be considered, just find the best deal.

From my personal experience, I would suggest that you look for the fastest model available on the market. I do not like to leave the distiller switched on and than leave the house. One do not know what can happen and staying at home for 5-6 hours for the water to distill is quite painful for me.

ill just get a cheap filter so that i can also drink the water and use it for cps. i think that removing clorine is enough. personally i dont think a distiller is really needed.

Thanks j/k and guqin. I was actually concerned about the wattage...since it's not going to cost me a bomb to run the faster distiller, I'll probably get that.

Of course, bottled distilled water is still cheaper for me but since my boyfriend is into keeping fish, we'll be able to use the distiller more often.

Hehe...in fact, I've asked about laboratory distiller too!
tounge.gif

I think distilled water is not good for freshwater fish. No salt in it and would probably cause serious osmotic damage to the fishes. You would probably have to mix the distilled water with some tap water so that the fishes can live. BTW, different groups of fishes require different water conditions. For example, some African Cichlids need hardwater to do well. Others, like our fighting fishes, require soft water.

Oh, his intention is to use distilled water during the change of water (~30%). I suppose he knows what he's doing 'cos he's going to keep an arowana. That fish is so costly he wouldn't just try-try.
tounge.gif

Btw, a laboratory distiller costs $3200 bucks!!! About 1200W and gives 3.5 litres per hour. But very cool looking...full glass apparatus...when I strike lottery...
laugh.gif

I think the laboratory distiller is too expensive and probably waste too much water to run. If I am not wrong, does the laboratory distiller uses cool water from the tap to cool the distiller? I saw one in a lab that I was working in, and for every liter of distilled water produced, 6-7 liters of tap water were used to cool the apparatus and these goes down into the drain. Nowsadays, we use MilliQ water, something like RO.

Yes, it does use water from the tap to cool the distiller. What a waste of water! Even if you use a pail to collect the water...it'll look so ugly. Hehe...you know lah, some things "good to look, not good to eat"...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

BTW, the brand of my distiller is Waterwise (one gallon in 4 hours).
smile.gif

Back