Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Pics ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The coned bottle cap was obtained from gardening section at Daiso in IMM (a pair for 2 S$).
    There are two tiny holes drilled into the cone on the same longitudinal axis. When the filled bottle is capped and turn inverted with pointed end into the soil, and if water level in the pot is lower than the upper hole replacement air can enter through the upper hole and water is released from the lower hole. When water level come up to the upper hole, watering stops. But when one or both of the tiny holes is blocked by the soil particles watering action is not reliable, which happen several times.

The film canister with holes was mounted as shown provides a free space for proper watering action and protects the holes from blockage. But make sure that the canister does not blocks the holes.

This is my 1 $ worth of contribution. Hope it help.

JK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant idea! I must do this soon! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

AMazing! JK, you're good at innovation! What do you do for a living? I need people like you to help the kids out on their project at innovation...and give talks.

May I use your idea to teach the kids how they could make life A LOT easier sometimes by just making simple modifications and adaptations to what they have around them? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I do for living?
    I used to be an electronic engineer, project/installation engineer, Technical Manager .... now an Account Manager i.e. a Sales Manager with a specific product/customer account, as I want to get away from all the nitty gritty of engineering and processes details. So basically I am a very DIY person with business inclination and do not like teaching job...sorry kids. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]
    Nevertheless I will be glad help anyone to solve simple problems of technical nature.

Yes, you are free to share the ideal with anyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JK: great idea!! we used to have such a project in school, an automatic plant watering system, but what we thought of were using electric sensors; yours is indeed a simple and inexpensive method..
    BTW, what is the original purpose of the conical bottle cap?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess the original purpose of the conical bottle cap with holes pre-drill was for watering of potted plants, but instruction was all in Japanese. Initially it does not work out as the tiny holes were right next to the soil, causing blockages. I only real contribution was the mounting of an additional canister after other modifications failed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would stuffing a piece of filter wool into the conical bottle cap stop the soil from seeping into the cap?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (guqin @ Jan. 15 2004,00:44)]Would stuffing a piece of filter wool into the conical bottle cap stop the soil from seeping into the cap?
    No, it would not work. Water must be allowed to flow freely out of the "already tiny" hole/s, soil contact with cap will Impede free flow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast