What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowering Byblis

Hello everyone again,

My Byblis which I grew from seeds last Aug (I think) have now started to flower!

First flowers in Jan:
Byblis.jpg

Now (Feb 04):
Byblis2.jpg

I currently have some seeds, but I keep missing them cos the seed pods always always open up before I expect them to, hence the seeds are alwats scattered on the floor.

I will be offering Byblis seeds if the 2nd crop of my seeds grow. As these are annuals, I'd like to make sure that I have a crop of Byblis before I start giving seeds away. So, stay tuned in about 6 mths' time!
biggrin.gif

Good looking Byblis liniflora, what is the growing condition?

JK

It's grown in full sun. Well, actually, the sun shines in at an angle. I keep it on the tray system, but let the water dry up before replenishing it.

nice pics,isw that a pot full of D.intermedia to the side?
rock.gif

Wheee!!! That's great work, ebeyonder! Now we all know byblis is not as "stubborn" as d.capensis.
laugh.gif

Anyway, it's good you keep a log of what's the media and its growing conditions (like hours of direct/indirect sunlight, type of water, direction its facing, ground level or high-rise etc). One day, you will be able to publish an article about growing byblis in Singapore successfully!!! And maybe bring in tons of plants...and make lots of $$$.
wink.gif

Btw, you could place your pot in a huge plastic bag (white is best) with its sides folded down to collect any falling seeds...unless they are flung like half a mentre away...
tounge.gif

Heh... I have no idea where the seeds end up... anyway I had to try 3 times over 3 batches of seeds before they eventually germinated. Got 1 batch from Andy from the UK... cost me quite a bit, think it was 3 pounds for 5-6 seeds?! None germinated. Then got another batch free from CPUK forum grower, no results too. The key, I think, is to put the seeds out in the sun to bake in a pot with a plastic cover to keep the moisture in. But of the 2 pots I left in the sun to bake, only one (peat/sand mix) had the seeds germinate; the other with moist LFS failed to have any seeds germinate. So it's still quite a mystery to me. And that is why I need to ensure my 2nd crop of Byblis takes off (have pots baking in the sun now) before offering free seeds of this wonderful species.

If anyone intersted in Byblis liniflora seeds to swap I had some fresh ones (nearly 100% germitation).
Arie

Arie, can u share ur conditions to achieve 100% germination?

very easy
mix 50\50 wet peat and perlite
in clear plastic box's cover them when it start to germinate I cange the cover to clear warp plastic when they cams bigger I take the waep down and keep high humidity
Arie

arie:
whats the difference between a cover and a clear plastic wrap? Both of them seem like they add humidity
i might be interrested in some 100% germination seeds!
smile.gif

ebeyonder:
how long does it take for the byblis to germinate?

The first cover isn't give 100% of the light get in
the clear plastic warp insure 100% light and that why I use it when germinate started.
both keep high humidity in the box's.
drop me a line if you want some seeds and what you have to offer.
Arie

Back